Bar-K / JT BB
Grant Received! Bear-resistant trash cans coming! - Printable Version

+- Bar-K / JT BB (https://bar-k.org)
+-- Forum: Our Community Bulletin Boards (https://bar-k.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Forum: Bar-K Ranch / Jamestown / Ward BB (https://bar-k.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Grant Received! Bear-resistant trash cans coming! (/showthread.php?tid=1913)

Grant Received! Bear-resistant trash cans coming! - Michelle - 03-07-2023

Hello Jamestown and Bar-K residents~

I’d like to announce to Jamestown and surrounding subdivisions the availability of steeply discounted bear-resistant trash cans.  Jamestown residents have received an email with this information, but we would like to offer the cans to residents in Bar-K and nearby subdivisions along Overland Road. The cans typically run $250-400 and will be sold at the subsidized rate of $30, limited to one can per household. Funds accumulated from sales will be put towards additional supplies until we run out.

Bear-resistant trash cans will be available by online order in about a week, and I’ll post a link to the ordering portal here (Jamestown residents will receive an email with a link).  I'll be reaching for volunteers to help with distribution details – more on that later.

The cans will be available for pickup in Jamestown in April (date announced soon). As a component of this grant-funded opportunity, we have partnered with Colorado State University and will be collecting additional information via survey on user-experience.  I’m hoping many of you will be willing to participate in some quick feedback down the road.  We also are designing a wildlife camera study to dovetail with this effort and will have small electric fencing kits available for locals to use.

BACKGROUND:  What's this about?
Last fall, in partnership with Boulder County Parks & Open Space, the Towns of Jamestown and Lyons submitted a successful proposal application in response to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Human-Bear Conflict Reduction Grant. The grant offered $1 million in statewide funds to help communities reduce opportunities for conflict with bears, such as eliminating access to unsecured trash and other attractants. We were one of eleven awardees out of nearly 30 proposals statewide that summed $3 million in requested funds.

Our shared goals are simple: to broaden our communities’ efforts to reduce conflicts, update outdated messaging and human habits, and test out solutions that are working in other communities. Bears will be coming out of hibernation soon, so it is time to increase vigilance and switch to bear-proofing season! We'd like to see fewer and fewer orange bags left sitting out all day until pick-up, and more trash cans that are wildlife-proof.  Oh, my list could go on Wink-

Note: These cans are compatible with our current trash pick-up providers.

Michelle

RE: Grant Received! Bear-resistant trash cans coming! - Jay - 03-07-2023

That’s awesome. Thank you! How about a link to what the can looks like…

RE: Grant Received! Bear-resistant trash cans coming! - Kim Renner Busey - 03-07-2023

That is so awesome. Thank you!

RE: Grant Received! Bear-resistant trash cans coming! - Michelle - 03-08-2023

(03-07-2023, 11:40 AM)Jay Wrote: That’s awesome. Thank you! How about a link to what the can looks like…

The ordering website will have photos and links for both brands:  Toter and Kodiak.