Bar-K / JT BB
Bear Visit in the Bar K - Printable Version

+- Bar-K / JT BB (https://bar-k.org)
+-- Forum: Our Community Bulletin Boards (https://bar-k.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Forum: Bar-K Ranch / Jamestown / Ward BB (https://bar-k.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Bear Visit in the Bar K (/showthread.php?tid=2218)

Bear Visit in the Bar K - Julia - 06-26-2023

I had a bear visit sometime last night. Car and garage door are fine, but they broke off a rather large branch where I hang hummingbird feeders (and have for 20 years). I guess the branch smelled a little sweet? Both the hummers and I were confused this morning as I went to hang the feeders. I’m not sure if that was a reward, but I’m planning to set a little bear junk trap on the tree tonight with old skis and rakes to wack the mischievous bear a bit and make some noise. Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

RE: Bear Visit in the Bar K - JamieP - 06-26-2023

Had paw prints all over our cars over on Tilghman! No treats for the bear!

RE: Bear Visit in the Bar K - Jackie Dow - 06-26-2023

There was evidence of a bear in my car , prints on the door handles and inside the car. A car door was slightly ajar,  and I noticed the prints.
A smallish bear, from the prints. There was no food in my car. It appeared the bear got itself out of the car by a handle too. I will lock it tonight.
I also noticed some stuff knocked around by my garden in my yard.

RE: Bear Visit in the Bar K - Julia - 06-27-2023

No visible bear activity here last night. Anyone else?

It’s a lush year and usually bears would be enjoying their natural food sources right now, so I’m a little worried about this one.

RE: Bear Visit in the Bar K - Jackie Dow - 06-27-2023

(06-27-2023, 08:13 AM)Julia Wrote: No visible bear activity here last night. Anyone else?

It’s a lush year and usually bears would be enjoying their natural food sources right now, so I’m a little worried about this one.

I think it's a yearling bear, looking for easy food. 
My bear proof trash can's latch doesn't work, so I'm not using it. I keep trash inside, then take it to town.
Berries are not happening yet, and it might not know how to hunt and fish.
They supposedly eat dandelions, plenty of those here, and plenty of osha which bears like.
I'm not seeing evidence of it being here last night. I locked my car last night.

RE: Bear Visit in the Bar K - John Hardman - 06-27-2023

We are having similar issues with a Young Bear in JT!  Possibly the same "Knucklehead" yearling.  Roaming around at all times of the day and night.
Exploring trash cans, homes, gardens, CARS etc.  These YOUNG BEARS are the ones we need to pay attention to.  Once they find food, they will return to their 
learned habits.  Probably getting tired of eating grass as other "natural food sources" are still to come.  This guy needs a good "hazing" and to be made unwelcome
in our neighborhoods!  

Thanks for the post everyone.  CLEAN AND LOCKED ?  DOUBLE CHECK !

~ SOB john

FYI:  Our Yearling BEAR in JT has been seen briefly a couple times and is Brown, at least on top.