chipping endeavors
hey i know we all love and appreciate the dudes doing fire mitigation up there, but they consistently leave big bits of blue markertape on the piles. i pick it all out every dang day, and i'm tired of it.
MICROPLASTICS are a huge and serious problem in the worlds and this will all become that, in time. time that's running out for us to get our shit together.

i've spoken to the young dudes twice about capturing this crap before they dump it, and they assured me they'd remove the tape when they cut the trees.
so, here's my question—do these guys get into the fire fighting business, or who's ever business this is, because they love nature/life, or because they want to kill trees?

i've honestly picked up pocketful every single day.
and i'm feeling very frustrated about it.

thoughts?
=#ffffffMaria Pezza =8pt(she/her)
=#ffffffCommunity Program Manager
=#ffffffThe Watershed Center
=#ffffff6800 Nimbus Road, Longmont CO 80503 (office)
=#ffffffP.O. Box 1074, Niwot, CO 80544-1074 (mailing)
=#ffffff303.746.6600 (cell)
=#ffffffmpezza@watershed.center
=#ffffffwww.watershed.center

I posted this information to be used as a resource for those who might have issues to present.  I am 100% behind these guys and their awesome work!.  
The Mitigation Team, Connor, Andrew and the rest of the guys (can I use that word now?) were professional, polite and very accomodating.  They took out 35+ TREES from my lot!
This is HARD, PHYSICAL WORK and I am grateful for OB and his TEAM for ALL THEIR HARD WORK.  
Most of the flagging we use in wild land FF is now biodegradable; all the rolls we just got in for JVFD are. - not sure who sourced the blue tape and if it is biodegradable or not, (probably Ken or the watershed that flagged the trees and NOT the FF's from LHFD) but it continues to be true that no good deed goes on punished around here.
I for one want to say how much we appreciate the Firefighters from LHFD.  All of the men & women in public service, thank you for the great support and all the work you all do!  Thank you for helping keep Lefthand and specifically the BarK safe.  Thank you!!!
Hi Oak-
they are firefighters first and foremost. They perform mitigation to help save the forests which are woefully overgrown, the watershed as a byproduct of reducing the overall effects of wildland fire, especially megafire, and to save property. Thanks to the folks who have said thank you for the project, the crew is feeling kind of low on this one due to negativity and inappropriate comments from community members, especially those who are not receiving work. Their efforts directly saved the Lake of the Pines Community during the Calwood fire as a result of the shaded fuel break they cut and the linked defensible spaces. Hopefully their efforts Jamestown in the future. And thank you for picking out the blue bits!
No problems on West Mesa St.

I can pick up marking tape and a few small tree limbs. Not a problem at all. They've got bigger concerns.

The Mitigation Team is doing a fantastic job, it's a monumental task, to say the least, risky too.

Stay Safe and Thanks!
Not sure why it's an either/or for you all or for the fire fighters.
i totally appreciate them and don't want them to stop.
also, plastics in the environment are really very terrible. 

i can't tell you how many people stopped me to say "I saw your post." and that they agreed—  "thanks for posting that."
some folks last night at food rescue were really passionate.
and i asked each neighbor if they'd posted anything up here agreeing with my post, and not one did.
so, it's not just me folks. i'm just the one who has a bigger voice or something...NYC is good for some things.

again, i'm in total support of the work they're doing. grateful and admiring. and i'm not a hater.
peace out.  oak
Hi oak,
It's not an either or, it's a question of the content regarding the the crew has a disregard for trees because they want to kill them, or they're irresponsible because of the flagging. It's the fact that the tone of the message conveyed those sentiments. It could have been easy to come to me as their supervisor and say hey, I've been pulling the flagging out of the pile, and I could have asked them to remove it. Instead, there was a public statement that was negative towards them.

Maria, the watershed center, and I have received feedback on the project both positive and negative. However, the crew receives an unnecessary amount of negative feedback for simply completing the task set before them.

Your frustration has been heard, please now hear me, if you had an issue, you're welcome to come to me or the watershed center instead of using the court of public opinion.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »