Hummingbirds
Has anyone seen a hummingbird yet?
In years past, they start arriving the third week in April.
We’ve been waiting…
But no sign of them yet.
How about you?
I'm afraid they are All in Kansas !
I saw and of course heard my first two of the season yesterday 4/22/22! Earth Day!
Kate, I haven’t seen any either, but I read that due to congregating at any feeders, we’re not supposed to put out ANY bird feeders this spring due to the Avian bird flu that is spreading quickly across the country, and is now in CO. Perhaps they can be rehung in the summer. Michelle, could you weigh in on this? Thx.
We heard our first 4/19. They have been at our feeder fussing. Please let us know if we aren't suppose to have a feeder out!
Here is a link from Cornell University re bird feeders and avian flu
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/avian...d-feeders/
Thanks for informative article, Betty! I saw on their list of infected bird species that the avian flu has been detected in the American Crow. We certainly have plenty of those (not that they gather at feeders)! From the article, it sounds like we can put out our feeders but if anyone hears of any updates, please chime in!
Actually, crows do gather at feeders - not hummingbird feeders, but seed feeders.
(04-23-2022, 11:45 AM)St.Kate of the Canyon Wrote: Has anyone seen a hummingbird yet?
In years past, they start arriving the third week in April.
We’ve been waiting…
But no sign of them yet.
How about you?

I have al least one enterprising male staking out his turf.
I'm seeing (but mostly hearing) a few migrating males moving through but that should be increasing with migration pulses now through early May.  On bird feeders, yes, technically it's OK to put them out if you can commit to sterilizing them very frequently and hanging them 8-10' high and 8-10' out from any tree, post, or deck due to the bear issue.  Frankly, given the subsidized and very high numbers of crows, jays, and magpies in our locality, I would absolutely skip it. Bird feeders may provide great entertainment, but this time of year in our region, given our local species and incoming migrants, they really are not necessary and can cause more harm than good.  Avian flu is not the only disease out there potentially spread by accumulating large numbers of birds at feeders.  On-the-ground feeding of birds spurs another type of illness that can make birds sick.

Songbirds like hummingbirds will be fine at your hummingbird feeders, but again, these need to be sterilized weekly and refreshed frequently.  Keep 2 on hand and simply swap out one needing cleaning for the backup feeder.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Wildli...luenza.pdf

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Viewin...-Sheet.pdf
Just had a hummingbird fly-by here in Jamestown. I don't know how to identify if it's male or female, it buzzed quickly past me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »