Night Sky
I was just outside, 6:00-p.m.12/17/22,  looking up and easterly, at about the 10 o'clock position, there appears to be 3 or 4 celestial bodies all close together, 3 red, one bright white. Go have a look. 
I'm not finding any info online, anyone know what this event is called? Pretty cool looking to say the least.
(12-17-2022, 07:12 PM)Hollis Wrote: I was just outside, 6:00-p.m.12/17/22,  looking up and easterly, at about the 10 o'clock position, there appears to be 3 or 4 celestial bodies all close together, 3 red, one bright white. Go have a look. 
I'm not finding any info online, anyone know what this event is called? Pretty cool looking to say the least.

There are a couple of bright stars plus Mars.  Capella (mostly white would be the most northern most one, then going south, you would have Mars (red) and then Aldebaran (slightly red) these three are in pretty good line.  East of this line you have Betelgeuse which would also be very reddish and would be further east.

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-17-2022, 07:48 PM)CheyenneWills Wrote:
(12-17-2022, 07:12 PM)Hollis Wrote:  

There are a couple of bright stars plus Mars.  Capella (mostly white would be the most northern most one, then going south, you would have Mars (red) and then Aldebaran (slightly red) these three are in pretty good line.  East of this line you have Betelgeuse which would also be very reddish and would be further east.

Thanks Cheyenne,  by the time I got back out for a second viewing everything had shifted, and the moment was gone :O)
It's interesting to think that ancient civilizations with no screens to look at spent generations studying the night sky in great detail without understanding what they were looking at and translating those observations in to amazing structures that reflected that knowledge.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »