Campfire in James Canyon
I just drove up from Boulder, and at about 8:30pm, there was a campfire that a man had built between the road and the creek, probably in a fire ring that he'd built but certainly not in an established site, at a big bend about half a mile below Jamestown.  I talked to him, and he was convinced that there was no fire ban (he might be right, in general) and that it was safe.  He said he was going to cook his dinner and then put it out and return to Boulder.  Meanwhile, the flames were 2 feet high, blowing in the wind. 

There are few sights that frighten me as much as open flames in the woods.  I called the Left Hand fire department from the Merc, but just left a message, then came home and called the sheriff.  They said they would send someone to look.

It doesn't seem right that someone can endanger all of us like that.  Is it legal to do that?
Hi Robert-
there are a couple of considerations. The first is that when there is no fire ban, Lefthand and the SO have no authority until a fire is more than 3' x3' x3' (large campfire) past that it's considered a bonfire and needs a permit, which then allows us some authority. More interestingly and more to the point, that piece of ground is private property, not USFS. So folks camping in there off the right of way are trespassing, although it's not posted.

Lefthand did respond and educate the camper, he put his fire out and left the site rather than face a trespass.
Thank you two for being on top of things!
Thank you for noting that the location of the fire was on private property and not USFS. For years, there is a sign posted clearly stating that it is private property and NO camping and NO fires are allowed. Picnickers are ok for day use only. Appreciate your follow through, Roger & nancy
Well done, Robert.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »