Save the Bears Info
Hi everyone, Does anyone know where I can find more info about Jamestown's Save the Bears Campaign? I am working on a bear conflict grant for Cal-Wood and would love more info on what Jamestown is doing so I can tie the two together. Thank you! Smile
Hey Angie ~

We have been kinda making it up as we go, but we have seen a DOWN tick in Bear conflicts in JT, the last several years.
We were (as a community) responsible for the destruction of 4 Bears in the 4 Years right after the flood.  I include Big Red, 
the Bear that supposedly grabbed a camp instructor out of his tent in 2017, up your way. (if I remember correctly).  This 
Bear was quite assertive and addicted to TRASH.  I chased him all over town until he broke the rules and lost his life. 

I am open to speaking/meeting with you to discuss.  I will let Michelle Durant know as well.  She and a couple of us put
together the grant that allowed us to offer "cheap" Bear Prof trash cans last spring.  

I look forward to helping Calwood reduce/eliminate BEAR conflicts.  I am so happy you are addressing this matter!  Bless you. 

~ SOB (Save Our Bears) john
john.hardman@jimtown.org
(05-06-2024, 05:05 PM)Angie at Cal-Wood Wrote: Hi everyone, Does anyone know where I can find more info about Jamestown's Save the Bears Campaign? I am working on a bear conflict grant for Cal-Wood and would love more info on what Jamestown is doing so I can tie the two together. Thank you! Smile

Hi Angie - I've now worked on 2 successful proposals for that grant, and I'm happy to help you brainstorm or to review one you're thinking of submitting. We are wrapping up the 2022 effort, and beginning a similar effort for Nederland. There's definitely some pieces in this you could tie together, and having accurate info is key.  You can contact me at my BCPOS email, personal email, or general Wildlife Dept inbox (wildlife@bouldercounty.gov).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »