Memory Lane: JT skating rink across from Merc
Lightbulb 
Does anyone know what year there was a skating rink across from the Merc?
At that time you could rent skates at the Merc, I think.
Who owned it then?
Were the gas pumps still working?

If you have similar questions/memories/stories could you post them with Memory Lane: 
and the topic so we might be able to collect them at some time?
 Cool
I'll add to the question.  I recently heard a rumor that there was once roller skating IN the Merc specifically in the Odd Fellows original meeting hall upstairs before it was divided in to apartments.  Anyone know more about the accuracy, or not, of this tale?
Yes there was a skating rink across from the Merc (now the town square) in 1983.  A big white liner was laid down, filled with water and Mother Nature took care of the rest so of course the skating months were limited. I believe this rink only lasted 2-3 years. A suggestion was made to move the rink to the lower park and the white liner was moved but never again filled. And yes you could rent skates from the Merc for 25 or 50 cents. 

Also the gas pumps in front of the Merc were still in the early to mid eighties.  I drove the JES school bus (Chevy Suburban) at that time and I filled up there weekly.

Those were the days.
Hi Kael, Anne Hasse told me that a skating rink was put there by the then owner of Calwood. I don’t know if it’s the same one you're talking about but if it was during Anne’s time I assume it is. She said he subsequently died when he drove off Balarat Road. She said a lot more but it escapes my memory.
I remember the one in 1983, and the gas pumps, and Kael driving the school bus. Also, the Post Office was in front of the Merc - where the bands play now and there were walls between them. Those WERE the days!  Smile Heart I think the earlier rink would have been in the '60's or '70's, before my time. (If Roger Calvert put it in, it would have to have been because he died in 1974.)
Jean King graciously passed down some of her collected historical materials that she and other women in town used to create Mountain Memories, a history of Jamestown in 1976. In that group of things was another account called "A Little Town in the Rockies, Jamestown Co. in the 1930's ".
Compiled and written by Verna Cook Ellis. It is an account of her childhood here as well as town history. In that book is a crude hand drawn map of town. It was back when main street still went through and was a second way out of town. There is a note on this map that says "skating pond" that is located in what is now the lower park.     I'm trying to attach a photo of it but I'm not sure it's working.    
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »