Propane question
Hello neighbors, I’d appreciate recommendations for a new propane company. In late May we ran out of propane and it was a costly and time consuming weekend trying to diagnose and resolve the situation from afar. I’ve since left two messages for the owner of Fred’s but have not received a return call. Having been their customer for over 20 years I expected at least a response. I’m ready to move on. It seems Polar Gas is the preferred alternative? Have there been issues like this with Polar?
I highly recommend Polar Gas- excellent service for 8 years for me.  Easy online payment, autofill schedule so I never run out, customer service is excellent, and they offer the lock in pricing for winter months (the contract is due by early August)
Polar gas is awesome!!

We switched over from Fred last year.

Never ever again. We ran out of propane 3x in 2022 on their account. Was a nightmare.

Polar gas has awesome staff to help over the phone. A great online system, are kind and always on time.

Switch immediately!

Polar gas is awesome!!

We switched over from Freds last year.

Never ever again. We ran out of propane 3x in 2022 on their account. Was a nightmare.

Polar gas has awesome staff to help over the phone. A great online system, are kind and always on time.

Switch immediately!
Another vote for Polar Gas, we switched a year or two ago, they've been great!!!
Is the cost the same or any different than Fred's?
Polar has been great for us. They’ve been proactive about filling our tank for the last 5 years and we haven’t had to call them or ever run out. We had a leak awhile back. Their technician and driver both came out on a weekend to get us fixed as soon as possible. Current driver lives up in Ned and seems quite capable of handling the unique mountain challenges.
(07-25-2024, 09:43 AM)Jyoti Wrote: Hello neighbors, I’d appreciate recommendations for a new propane company. In late May we ran out of propane and it was a costly and time consuming weekend trying to diagnose and resolve the situation from afar. I’ve since left two messages for the owner of Fred’s but have not received a return call. Having been their customer for over 20 years I expected at least a response. I’m ready to move on. It seems Polar Gas is the preferred alternative? Have there been issues like this with Polar?

I have a negative review/warning about Aginity/Peak to Peak. Don't waste your time with them - they are big corporate and terrible customer service. I'm thinking of switching, too.
I have used Fred's, mostly, for years. Called Polar just now and got a good price quote. Called back to order and the first quote was wrong, actual price about on par with Fred's.
Hello Jamestown Community!
Upon reading through ongoing, online conversations regarding propane and propane companies, as the new general manager at Fred’s, I would like to offer some clarification:
 - There has not been an individual owner of Fred’s for about 8 years. Fred’s widow sold their family business, and Ray returned shortly thereafter; he became the general manager around that time.
 - Fred’s and Hygiene are the last two independently owned companies in the area. Thompson Energy acquired Polar Gas about two years ago. Agfinity, AmeriGas, Discount, Ferrell, Mile High, Suburban, etc. are all corporate owned.
 - If you are reaching out to Fred’s, simply ask for me. I will be at full capacity as general manager on August 23rd. I will be transitioning in the meantime; please note that I am currently on vacation and return August 5th. Feel free to contact me, Jason, directly at fredspropane@gmail.com 
Kind Regards, Jason
I will put a word in for Hygiene Propane.  I was a Fred's customer for several years, but felt the quality had deteriorated. Hygiene had better prices, and I've been very happy with their service.  They are locally owned, which I appreciate.
Thank you for the responses everyone! Sounds like Polar and Hygiene make the cut.

And Jason, thanks for clarifying the ownership structure at Fred’s. Regardless of whether the person you mentioned was the owner or manager, a call back would have made the difference. I wish you the best in your new position!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »