Ran out of propane | Fred's
This morning, smelled like a dead animal in our utility room this morning...and then no heating tonight.  Checked the propane tank, and it was empty.  The smell was the ethyl mercaptan compound added for leak detection, and I guess it's what's left when the propane is gone. 
We're on auto-delivery from Fred's Propane, and the last delivery was Dec 21 -- usually monthly. 
We used up some propane running the standby generator after the wind storm -- I emailed Fred's about that on Jan 2, and never got a response.
Seen Fred's trucks drive by twice in the past couple of days -- figured one of them stopped and we had not yet received the bill.
Called Fred's answering service about an hour ago and got a call back pretty quickly -- first he said they'll deliver "as soon as it's light," then he said they start work at 8 am.  Then he said he'd hang up because I was asking too many questions -- like when I would get more propane!

Any recommendations for a different propane provider

Thanks,
Joe Ryan
We switched from Fred's to Polar Gas after the ownership of Fred's changed a few years back
(02-07-2022, 08:31 AM)CheyenneWills Wrote: Thanks, Cheyenne.  Yeah, I think I remember our delivery driver for Fred's back then (before the change in Fred's ownership) was Jeff.
(02-07-2022, 02:37 AM)joeryan80481 Wrote: This morning, smelled like a dead animal in our utility room this morning...and then no heating tonight.  Checked the propane tank, and it was empty.  The smell was the ethyl mercaptan compound added for leak detection, and I guess it's what's left when the propane is gone. 
We're on auto-delivery from Fred's Propane, and the last delivery was Dec 21 -- usually monthly. 
We used up some propane running the standby generator after the wind storm -- I emailed Fred's about that on Jan 2, and never got a response.
Seen Fred's trucks drive by twice in the past couple of days -- figured one of them stopped and we had not yet received the bill.
Called Fred's answering service about an hour ago and got a call back pretty quickly -- first he said they'll deliver "as soon as it's light," then he said they start work at 8 am.  Then he said he'd hang up because I was asking too many questions -- like when I would get more propane!

Any recommendations for a different propane provider

Thanks,
Joe Ryan

Yeah, Jeff (heavyset, blonde) now works for PolarGas.
The best part of Polar is that they have a futures discount in Aug, and for 5 cents a gallon of your projected use,
you get a great price.  I saved $120 on my most recent fillup.
(02-07-2022, 09:40 AM)RobertH Wrote: Jeff and Polar Gas are great.
We've had a very good experience with Hygiene Propane. That said, we are not on regular or monthly fill-ups. We call when we need propane (every 6-10 months) and they put us on the schedule within a couple days.
I don't know Fred's but a big thumbs up for Polar!!!!!!  They have taken good care of us.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »