I am new to the Bar-K-Ranch
Hi!! I have just moved to town about 6 months ago. Oh, my name is Toddmary Bërn. I have jumped right in and volunteering at the food pantry. So, I was wondering if anybody has seen a bear or a cougar? I think there was a bear tracks ride out side my window of my bedroom. It was a nine  inches long and 6 inches wide. I thought they would be in hibernation in the winter but maybe they're not. What do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

Toddmary ~ I would be surprised if it was a Bear.  Nothing for them to eat except human generated food sources (trash/bird seed/refrigerator).  There are Mountain Lions for sure.  Bear track usually show claws, Mountain Lions usually do not show claws.  The tracks could be washed out by wind, melt etc.  The dimensions you state would be much bigger than Bear or Lion (unless washed out).  From the photo I might suggest they are Moose tracks.  They would be in the size range you mentioned.  We gots lots of Moose!   I am down in JT and part of the SOB (Save Our Bears) group.  If you need help in Bear Proofing your home and/or cars, before they return in the spring, let me know.  Thanks for posting your sighting.  It helps everyone in the "hood" know what to be on the lookout for. 

SOB john
Hey john - thanks for responding to me. I am still learning. I was living on Marrowstone Island in Northwest Washington State where there are all sorts of different animals. I am still learning what the track would mean. Banyan mistakenly left the compost out for one day but that was the day that the tracks from.
Hey john - I am still learning what the track would mean. Banyan mistakenly left the compost out for one day but that was the day that the tracks from but the compost was untouched. I will speak with the neighbors. Thanks!
I am still learning what the track would mean. I will talk to the neighbors.
Hey john - thanks for responding to me. I am still learning. I was living on Marrowstone Island in Northwest Washington State where there are all sorts of different animals. I am still learning what the track would mean. Banyan mistakenly left the compost out for one day but that was the day that the tracks from. Also, they didn't get into the compost . The cow moose or the bull moose is interesting. My neighbor Linda said has claws but she didn't say it was too big. She didn't look at it. I am bear proofing the house but occasionally but the bear can get into the car. Thank you for the suggestion.
If you go online and google "Moose/Bear etc tracks in the Snow",  you will see lots of examples.  If there was a Bear, it would have gotten into the compost, in my opinion.  Especially now, when there are no natural food sources.  

Regarding vehicles,  the Experts (and I agree based on many years of experience) state that cars should be clean and locked.  Even IF the car is clean, when a Bear opens a car door successfully, they are rewarded and will check every car door from then on.  Should a Bear get into your car,  often when they are inside, the door shuts and they are trapped.  They freak out, your car is trashed and often times, totaled.  I have seen it many times and it is not fun for the car's owner.  

Moose: you need to give them a lot of space and respect.  They can and will hurt you when agitated, afraid or have young ones. 

SOB john
Hi Todd Mary - here's a tip from my old friend Hollis (where are you these days, Hollis?). Park with the nose of your car facing downhill so that if a bear should get in it, it won't get trapped by the door slamming and trapping it inside. Best to lock, but the nose-down parking thing is something that you can do in case you might forget to lock. (I had a bear get into my car several years ago and it did get trapped - so now I always park facing downhill.) Clean and locked is always best, but nose down is helpful, too.  Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »