Bears
The bears are harvesting the choke cherries.  Bear scat with choke cherry seeds discovered by the water plant.
terryp ~

You beat me to it!  Saw similar scat just above the gate to Gillespie Gulch today!   Full of chokecherry seeds.  

OUR BEARS are going into "hyperphagia" (non-stop eating), preparing for hibernation.  The chokecherries, apples, plums etc 
are all coming into season and we will see much more BEAR activity in the neighborhood.  Harvesting your fruit will prevent 
BEAR encounters and damage to your trees.  BEARS are rough on fruit trees.  

Same RULES apply:

CLEAN & LOCKED
Homes and Automobiles !
TRASH Stashed appropriately
Bird Feeders in at night.
Keep that grill clean after use! 

REPORT ALL SIGHTINGS HERE!  
Color, Size, Time, Location, Activity. 
Photos are a great! 

This helps us keep track of OUR BEARS and their activity. 
So far this Bear Season I have only been made aware of 2 Bears.

1) 3 yr old RED juvenile. This guy has hung around town the last couple years. I saw him about 6 weeks ago headed up to Blue Jay after a dip in the river.
    He eye-balled Lila and I, and when Lila gave him a tongue lashing, he ran up the hill into the woods.  Just like we want him to.

2) There have been a few sightings of a Black Cub/1-2 year old.  Up above the Merc on the side of the mountain and west of town up near Porthyry View
    AND in a yard on Mesa Street, in the middle of the afternoon a week or so ago!  This is not a good sign, inexperienced Bear. 
    None of the reports indicate a Mama Bear present, so I am inclined to think it is a Young Bear, on its own.  (These are the guys I worry about MOST!  Learning bad habits, getting into trouble). 
    A Teenager essentially Wink

Still not sure how to protect your Property AND OUR BEARS?
Call me or post here.  I am in the JT Directory.  

THANK YOU!  JamesTown, for helping us SAVE OUR BEARS !
We have done so well these last 4-5 years!  THANK YOU! 

~. SOB john

PS: The scat I saw, I do not believe belongs to either of the Bears that I mentioned in the sightings report!  Too Big Wink
Like true Gypsy bandits, they vanish into the night taking everyone's choke cherries with them except for the seeds.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »