Bear visitor
Photo 
We had a bear visit at 2:50am this morning (10/14). Fairly big one walked right up to our sliding glass door. No damage done, but our neighbors' jack-o-lantern got munched.

Attached Files Image(s)

BrookeC ~

Awesome pics!  That's Our FAT Boy BEAR du jour!   Obviously an experienced home invader. 

Please be vigilant EVERYONE!  This is the kind of BEAR that could get into trouble and lose it's life!

If you are not sure how to best protect your home and cars, post here and a member of our
Save Our Bear (SOB) group will respond.  I am in the JT Directory. 

Still a ways to go before Our Bears take their long winter nap!

~ SOB john
Hey SOB John -
We’re up in the Bar-K, as is Wingham, who I’ll be providing with a spare air horn today. No doubt the same bear!
BrookeC
(10-14-2022, 11:15 AM)BrookeC Wrote: Hey SOB John -
We’re up in the Bar-K, as is Wingham, who I’ll be providing with a spare air horn today. No doubt the same bear!
BrookeC

Thanks Brooke! Kinda figured as much but not sure.

This guy WILL be back! 

FYI:  I have heard from reputable sources that OUR BEARS are reaping havoc in 
Boulder, Lyons, Niwot etc, up and down the front range.  LOTS of TRASH to attract them. 
Unfortunately this will lead to Bears being destroyed. 

~ SOB john
John.. can you say more about use of bleach, amonia? All clear last night but…
Thank you!!!
Wingham ~

Ammonia and many household cleaners will repel Bears.  I saw an article that indicated Vinegar works similarly. 
Please note that nothing is 100%; allot depends on how experienced, and/or hungry the Bear is.

My neighbor filled plastic bags with bleach and hung them on his car door handles.  It worked, my concern would be something/somebody might 
mess with it and injure themselves.  

Other Ways:  Soak rags/towels and place them outside in front of assess points.
                    Spray these cleaners outside around windows doors etc. and let it dry
                    A mason jar with holes in the lid placed at access points. I would not think the jar needs to be full.
                    If you store trash in a shed etc, pour 1 oz of Bleach in the bag.

Some people use "unwelcome mats" (boards with NAILS pounded through them). General opinion among Bear experts is
this injures bears and is inhumane.  I would agree!  My fear it would also create an angry, aggressive Bear.  If I felt it 
was necessary to use a "nail board", I would douse it well with Ammonia TOO.  Obviously nail boards create a potential danger
for all animals and humans.  

Hot Wires/Electric Fences:  This is by far the best and most reliable way to keep Bears at bay.  They do not even need to touch the
wire to know it is "hot".  The current is safe for humans/animals and you can always turn the power off during Bear safe hours, just remember to
turn it back on!  Compost piles, sheds, homes, all can be secured with Hot Wires.  There is lots of info on the net.  

During times when you are away from home. leaving a radio on, tuned to a "talk radio show" will often fool a Bear into
thinking someone is home.  I would suggest CNN, If they are still in business  Tongue

Hope that helps !

We still have a couple months to go.!

Interesting Fact:  BEARS that eat human trash and/or foods will Hibernate later and wake up sooner than BEARS eating
their natural diet.  It changes their metabolism.

SAVE OUR BEARS ! 

~ SOB john
Thanks everyone for looking out for our bears! In case it’s helpful, this document from Colorado Parks and Wildlife has a lot of good information.

Living with Bears

Here are a couple things I’ve learned, just in case, but I’m likely preaching to the choir.

Please don’t fill balloons or bags with ammonia, as it can really harm bears or even blind them. Also, from my experience, glass containers get broken and can cut bears (and people). Over the years, I’ve had good, but not perfect, luck with old, open plastic containers filled with pinesol. It’s smelly, but less toxic than ammonia and small containers on the ground, in front of a car door, garage or shed, are less likely to get in a bear’s eyes or harm them and the smell travels.

From what I’ve read, a humane bear mat is made with small finish nails with the heads, not pointy bits, upward. It’s uncomfortable for the bear, but shouldn’t harm them. I’ve no first hand experience though.

Does anyone have a good local source for a cheap radio? 

I appreciate all of the reminders to be bear aware! Happy Fall!

For another way to discourage a bear in your yard, super soakers water spray guns with a dilute vinegar solution can work well and don’t wake the neighbors Smile

Attached Files
.pdf   BearDeterrents.pdf (Size: 657.53 KB / Downloads: 1,693)
Save Our Bears !

CPW piece on Bear Proofing your home and schtuff!

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftrY2UZTw6k

~ SOB john
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »