Planting fruit trees okay?
Are fruit trees okay to grow up here? A family member wants to gift me an apple and cherry trees. But I am hesitant to attract bears. I want to save our bears. Thoughts on this?
Sara
Sara, free backyard fruit sounds like a great idea but I would discourage anyone from planting fruit trees unless they are willing to use effective insect deterrents and regularly prune the trees just as a commercial fruitgrower would.  Apples attract the Codling moth, the principle worldwide pest which produces the apple worm.  To prevent the worms the trees must be be sprayed on a strict two-week schedule.

The Western Cherry Fruit Fly infests cherries throughout CO and beyond.  They also produce worms which ruin the fruit, and must be controlled by intensive integrative pest management.  Nursery stock often carry the larvae of these pests at the point of sale.  Also, late spring frosts common along the Front Range typically kill the fruiting buds in 4 out of 5 years.

Here, fruit trees will be a magnet for bears, coyotes, and more.  Buying apples and cherries from Colorado producers at the farmers markets might be a better, easier option.  As for the family gift, a selection of native berry producing shrubs and perennial native flowers that attract hummingbirds could be very rewarding.  I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

For more than 30 years, I grew apples and other orchard fruits for the commercial market from our Palisade farm.

Steve
Thanks Steven, that is an interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.
At the house I lost in the flood, there were 3 apple trees in my yard, and my neighbor, Jyoti, had a whole hedge of cherry trees. The bears were very interested in both types of fruit and I remember Jyoti inviting people to come get cherries and then calling some gleaners to come get the cherries they couldn't. Another friend had a crabapple that bore heavily and she had LOTS of bear visits and scat all over her yard. I think she ended up cutting it down. Not every year is a bumper crop year, but I do think that sadly, it's probably best not to plant fruit trees here. Save Our Bears.  If someone wants to give you trees, there are many that do well here, but don't attract the bears.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »