DYI thaw frozen line
BAR-K 
My daughter and partner live in Pinecliff down Coal Creek Canyon. They have a wellhead about 75 yds down below their home and it’s been diagnosed that their line is frozen. No water for 2 weeks. They have contacted 3 well companies with little to no luck getting someone to come. The line is plastic and are looking for any DYI ideas. Thanks
(01-23-2024, 12:54 PM)jasinclair71@gmail.com Wrote: They have a wellhead about 75 yds down below their home and it’s been diagnosed that their line is frozen. No water for 2 weeks. The line is plastic and are looking for any DYI ideas.
DIY ideas (long shots...):
1. (long) wait until warmer weather
2. Pump hot water down the line (but yeah, where would they get hot water?)
3. Dig up the line and surround it with electrical heating tape to melt the ice in the pipe -- but digging 75 yards in winter probably not DIY.
The result of digging up the line could be to find that the line has burst and water's not getting to the house because of the burst line, not ice remaining in the line.  I suppose fixing the plastic pipe might not be too hard -- a new section of pipe and some pipe unions to replace the broken length.
More thoughts:

1.  While Pinedale might be out of their service area, John's Well Service is well equipped to to deal with the problem.  You might have called them already.  One of their stellar employees lives a very short distance from the Bar-K.

2.  If there is access to other running water, like from a neighbor, you might connect a garden hose to a rented Hotsy unit to instantly heat water and gradually thaw the water pipe line by moving a hose into it from the bottom, or well head end.  The water pipe will have to be disconnected at the well head to access.  A few years ago, I thawed a frozen septic line this way.  I rebuilt the pipeline (and another fresh water line) using several layers/types of insulation, and heat cable.

3.  Temporarily, one might connect new pipeline above ground from the well head to the house, and only run the pump when needed.  Since the house is above the pump, plumb the connection so that the pipe drains completely after filling the house reservoir or pressure tank.

I've done most of my plumbing and pump system work over the years, so feel free to call if you want to chat.  9seven Oh, two5 Oh, six 1twice.
Thanks to everyone with their suggestions for helping my daughter with her frozen line. One of the well companies came through and got their water flowing last night. They ended up using the technique that a number of you suggested.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »