internet service recs
Any recommendations for Internet providers for Bar-K Ranch? Nedernet and Starlink seem to be the best options I'm seeing so far. I'd love to hear any recent experiences with either one... are they reliable enough for home office work? Thank you!
Starlink has been the only reliable (and the cheapest) service I’ve been able to find in the Bar-K.

Nedernet couldn’t reach me and ViaSat and HughesNet were outrageously expensive for mediocre service.
Happy with Starlink too. But early this afternoon during the heavy snow, we did have very brief drops in service, but nothing that lasted more than a few minutes at a time.
Starlink. My husband and I both WFH and take WebEx video calls all day long. It has been great for us.
I have just purchased Starlink and I am curious how user friendly was the installation. Did ya'll do it yourself or is there someone that you recommend to do the install.
(02-06-2024, 05:35 PM)R. Westmoreland Wrote: I have just purchased Starlink and I am curious how user friendly was the installation. Did ya'll do it yourself or is there someone that you recommend to do the install.

Rick, lots of Star Link installations and reviews on YouTube, after you weed through the BS, good luck!
Official link, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmgwkKgZaGk

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...stallation
Thanks, Hollis!! I’ll give it a look.
When I moved in to Bar-K, there was Nedernet for a few weeks at the previous owners rate.  I couldn't even stream radio.  I opted for a higher rate, but movies were always buffering.  Watching the wood stove was much more entertaining.  Since then, I've switched to Starlink.  Initially had an electrician install the dish, but he put it in a completely obstructed (by the soffits) location.  Then I had NextStep re-install it.  They know how the dishes are designed to be installed (& charged less than the electrician did).  It was well worth it.  I did have to put a drop of Gorilla glue on the cable where it connects to the dish to keep it from slipping.  Since then, all I have to do is reboot the router from time to time.

You might also check with StarlinkHardware.com for information.
I have installed over 2 dozen Stalink systems.
Starlink is currently on generation 4 which has a different design of the dish and the mounting hardware as well as a faster router.
Since the QT doesn't require people to actually use their names, it's hard to know who we are speaking with but suffice it to say this is Sal.
I live at 538. Ranch (32 years now !)
I help people with all things Tech - visit my website at:
https://bouldertechsupport.com/
Or, just pick up the phone and call me.
Happy to help any of my neighbors.
We have had Starlink since the beta release.
Over three years now I think. 
When I ended Mountain High Wifi, Nedernet upgraded a bunch of their infrastructure and is still a good choice if you get a good signal from them.
Starlink set up is rock solid and doesn't really go down much at all and is fast.
Let me know if you need help Rick.

Sal DeVincenzo – sdvphoto.com
Sal, is it a good idea to mount the receiver in a location, if possible, where one can access it easily for snow removal, especially the icy stuff?

When I had Direct TV satellite service, snow and ice interfered with reception, mine was easily accessed with a broom at arm's length.
Hollis and all-
You can Mount the "dishy mc-flat face" in a accessible place but you don't need to...
The dish has in-built snow-ice melting.
Uses some power but gives you more mounting options if your clear shot to the sky is on the roof.
The best thing to keep in mind is clear view of the sky and away from the shadow of the building and clear of heavy tree cover above
if you mount it on the ground.
(Need to bury the cable in that instance)
Mounted on the roof. just be sure it's at a high place and doesn't have any substantial trees blocking.
As someone else mentioned a great r resource webpage is
https://www.starlinkhardware.com/

Below are two examples of how to make Starlink mobile.
The one with the battery box is for Starlink "Roam service" built for a friend for his RV.
The second is what we use for Jamestown July 4th merch/vendors.
You can plug this into a portable battery pack and have Internet in 2 minutes. Anywhere in the US and beyond.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »