Everyone Landline or no landline??
This all assumes that the Century Link station down at the Elysian park has power of some sort.  If this station is down then any type of phone or network service from the phone line will be down.

In the event of a power outage, you need to take a look at the devices in your home that are connected to the phone line.

The most simple is an old fashioned landline telephone that obtains its power from the actual phone line coming into your house.  You can verify that you have one of these in that there is only one wire to the actual telephone and that is the one coming from the phone jack.  In the event of a power outage, this type of phone will continue to work as long as the phone service itself is supplying power.

Anything else will require an alternative power source, either a battery backup (i.e UPS - uninterrupted power supply) or a generator.

If you decide to drop the landline, you will still need to have some sort of internet connection (either through the DSL service provided by Century Link) or through some satellite service. 

You still need to make a couple of decisions if you are dropping the landline, VoIP or using your cell phone via some sort of connection to the internet.

If you go the VoIP route, you will need to subscribe to a service (e.g. Vonage).  With VoIP you will receive a little box that you plug a landline phone into then the box itself plugs into your network (this is what we use).  The VoIP services typically have a 911 address registration.

If you go with the cell phone route, you will need either some sort of micro cell box that plugs into your network (much like the VoIP box), or your cell phone and cell service provider needs to support WiFi calling.  With the wifi calling you typically register a 911 address with your cell service provider.  

If you do drop the landline, you should register whatever phone number you are using with the Sheriff's office as O'B posted above.

Also be aware that I had some problems registering my wifi-calling cell phone number with my service provider for the E911 facility in order to get WiFI calling to work.  I think they use post office information and they could not validate the street address.  I was able to eventually  get the information setup by going through a customer service person instead of trying to use their web interface.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Landline or no landline?? - by Beth Brotherton - 07-13-2022, 10:14 AM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by terryp - 07-13-2022, 10:43 AM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by John Hardman - 07-13-2022, 11:21 AM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by Tim Stokes - 07-13-2022, 04:17 PM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by Hollis - 07-13-2022, 06:48 PM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by betty dowe - 07-13-2022, 10:50 PM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by O'B's - 07-14-2022, 08:14 AM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by Rose H-H - 07-14-2022, 08:24 AM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by O'B's - 07-14-2022, 08:31 AM
RE: Landline or no landline?? - by Laurel Wanrow - 07-14-2022, 08:34 AM