From Camp Wojtyla
Wow Robert.  I'm so glad that we have you as Jamestown's gatekeeper of who is worthy and who is not!  How a small group of young people that are here volunteering and clearly bursting with enthusiasm at their opportunity to enjoy our beautiful mountains (community?) as we do, is so threatening to you, certainly demonstrates the fear that the church struck in you.  These kids may certainly become all that you fear.  They may also be intelligent, creative, kind (as their "apology" suggests) people that have gone out of their way to make right by the town for a bit of raucous fun, something that never happens in this town. And just maybe the influence of this place will bring them around to your version of the world in time, although I hope not quite so intolerant. 

I wasn't at their gathering, it sounds like it was pretty enthusiastic, but basically innocent.  I do know that a local had already told them that they weren't welcome to enjoy the evening at the big park as, "they don't really want anyone using the big park except for residents."  Wow, I need to read the bylaws again and make sure that my citizenry papers are up to date!  Either way, had they been left to enjoy themselves at the band shelter no one would have noticed or cared.  My understanding was that it was a picnic, an impromptu fun time next to the water in what most "outsiders" would consider a beautiful and welcoming town on Jim Creek.  A celebration of their end of summer camp at Calwood, not a Revival.  And even if they were, I for one applaud their right to do it.  

Fortunately I grew up in a town that appreciated many voices and perspectives on the world and its communities, if something was that scary I was allowed to step out.  I was lucky.  Has that town now become a place where a few vocal and threatened people get to decide who is welcome and who is not?  Cause if so, there are a lot of giant trailers of 4WDrivers passing through at 40 mph that I'd like to send through Nederland instead.  

IMHO telling a group of 20 year olds that they aren't welcome to be in our town is terrifying.  It's intolerant, judgy as hell, and has no place here.  Period.  "Now get off my lawn you intolerant creeps."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
From Camp Wojtyla - by JamieP - 08-01-2022, 10:09 AM
RE: From Camp Wojtyla - by RobertH - 08-02-2022, 08:36 AM
RE: From Camp Wojtyla - by David Mans - 08-02-2022, 08:54 AM
RE: From Camp Wojtyla - by Drew Allman - 08-03-2022, 09:35 AM
RE: From Camp Wojtyla - by kto - 08-03-2022, 03:20 PM
RE: From Camp Wojtyla - by Seth-Strickland - 08-04-2022, 12:38 PM
RE: From Camp Wojtyla - by Nancy Farmer - 08-07-2022, 11:31 AM