Moosin' around
BAR-K 
When the dogs are away, the moose will lay…

My Pyrenees, Freya and Luna, have been busy guarding the goats and shedding all over Antelope Ranch in Lyons, so it’s been very peaceful and quiet up at our house in the Bar-K. Spent the day with Jack the cat and a momma moose and her two calves, who snacked on the aspens and then took an afternoon power nap in the front yard. They were in the same spot, just off the front porch, for a couple of hours. It was magical.

Being that Momma meese are notoriously protective of their young, I was very conscientious about delicately and quietly exiting the front door to the car back and forth. They paid us (the cat and me) no mind, and surprisingly stayed in their spots, even when I started the car and drove away. Sunday Colorado kinda vibe. 

If you listen with sound on, you can hear her munching away.  Fun fact: To get the most out of their food, moose digest it a bit, regurgitate it, chew on the cud, and re-swallow it for a second round of digestion. Moose patiently chew their cud about eight hours every day. In preparation for winter, moose increase their body weight by as much as twenty-five percent.

Attached Files Image(s)

.mov   MamaMoose_small.mov (Size: 6.3 MB / Downloads: 92)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Moosin' around - by Melissa Watson - 09-27-2022, 11:09 PM
RE: Moosin' around - by Kirk C. Watkins - 09-27-2022, 11:47 PM
RE: Moosin' around - by JamieP - 09-28-2022, 09:05 AM
RE: Moosin' around - by Sal DeVincenzo - 09-28-2022, 01:19 PM