Bear visitor
Thanks everyone for looking out for our bears! In case it’s helpful, this document from Colorado Parks and Wildlife has a lot of good information.

Living with Bears

Here are a couple things I’ve learned, just in case, but I’m likely preaching to the choir.

Please don’t fill balloons or bags with ammonia, as it can really harm bears or even blind them. Also, from my experience, glass containers get broken and can cut bears (and people). Over the years, I’ve had good, but not perfect, luck with old, open plastic containers filled with pinesol. It’s smelly, but less toxic than ammonia and small containers on the ground, in front of a car door, garage or shed, are less likely to get in a bear’s eyes or harm them and the smell travels.

From what I’ve read, a humane bear mat is made with small finish nails with the heads, not pointy bits, upward. It’s uncomfortable for the bear, but shouldn’t harm them. I’ve no first hand experience though.

Does anyone have a good local source for a cheap radio? 

I appreciate all of the reminders to be bear aware! Happy Fall!

For another way to discourage a bear in your yard, super soakers water spray guns with a dilute vinegar solution can work well and don’t wake the neighbors Smile

Attached Files
.pdf   BearDeterrents.pdf (Size: 657.53 KB / Downloads: 1,693)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Bear visitor - by BrookeC - 10-14-2022, 09:15 AM
RE: Bear visitor - by John Hardman - 10-14-2022, 09:35 AM
RE: Bear visitor - by BrookeC - 10-14-2022, 11:15 AM
RE: Bear visitor - by John Hardman - 10-14-2022, 11:29 AM
RE: Bear visitor - by Wingham - 10-15-2022, 04:08 PM
RE: Bear visitor - by John Hardman - 10-15-2022, 05:22 PM
Julia - by Julia - 10-16-2022, 08:53 AM
RE: Bear visitor - by John Hardman - 10-16-2022, 08:03 PM