SOB Bear Announcements
I’m reading the BB from Lake Tahoe’s International Human-Bear Conflict Workshop. I sure wish we still had Science Night to provide an opportunity to share with you all topical research updates and stories from the 40 presentations and panel discussions I’m enjoying.

Take home messages:
1. Backyard chickens, small livestock, and apiaries are causing a lot of problems for bears and other carnivores when paired with human reluctance to use electric fencing.

2. Folks are simply underestimating the skill, strength, and curiosity of bears and not locking up homes, garages, or cars consistently to prevent the events that quickly teach bears problematic habits.

3. Trash, bird feeders, compost, recycling, and unlocked homes, windows left cracked open, and novel visual attractants (the empty cooler left outside, anything with a scent, etc) all continue to be the primary issues, despite decades of outreach.

4. Misinformation/perception about agency programs and responses (and management history and agency people like me are often at fault). Reluctance to call CPW.

5. HOW we share community information and “stories” about bear encounters can help or hinder community progress.

6. The longer and more times a bear is given access to items listed above, the more intense an aversion-training “experience” is needed.

Our CPW DWM may be able to help with hazing or securing attractants. It’s always worth calling Joe Padia and discussing the situation.

Boulder County received a grant to assist residents with trash containment (coming to JT/Bar-K next spring), electric fencing for apiaries/chickens, and game cameras to help track what’s going on out there.

That’s all for now!
Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
SOB Bear Announcements - by Michelle - 10-18-2022, 12:01 PM
RE: SOB Bear Announcements - by BurtL - 10-18-2022, 05:19 PM
RE: SOB Bear Announcements - by Nancy Farmer - 10-19-2022, 09:10 AM
RE: SOB Bear Announcements - by Tim Stokes - 10-19-2022, 03:54 PM