Propane boiler replacement intel
Collie,

We replaced our "old school" propane boiler with an NTI/ Trinity TI150 condensing boiler in 2010. At that time the cost was about $3K for the boiler, $1.5K for the misc pumps, pipe and other hardware, and about $1K for the installation labor. The labor cost was low, since I helped the plumber with this project. I would guess that the cost today would be significantly higher.

The NTI boilers seem to be relatively inexpensive, compared to other high efficiency (94%+ AFUE) boilers. The advantages of this unit is:

1) It is small, and could "drop in" to the space used by our old boiler
2) It has domestic hot water capability, eliminating our water heater (more space saving) and providing unlimited supply of hot water.
3) It vents directly to the outside, eliminating vent stack.
4) It is compatible with existing three zone hydronic system.
5) Saving on propane (of course).

The dis-advantages are as follows:

1) To get the high efficiency, the unit uses many sensors, a modulating gas valve, computer etc.  We have found that although the unit is still working great after 12+ years, we have had to replace lots of parts, mostly sensors and valves. If you are not too handy, this could be expensive. It is also possible, that these boilers have become more reliable over the years. When we purchased ours, this technology was relatively new.
2) The heat exchanger needs to be cleaned out periodically. Probably should be done every season, but we do this every couple of years. This is easy to do yourself, but would cost around $200 for this service, with a large plumbing company.

All in all, we would probably do this again, even though the new boiler was not as trouble free as the old one.

I would be happy to show you our installation, or discuss in further detail if interested.

Thanks,

- Mark
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Propane boiler replacement intel - by Collie - 11-25-2022, 12:04 PM
RE: Propane boiler replacement intel - by Collie - 11-26-2022, 09:30 PM
RE: Propane boiler replacement intel - by RobertH - 11-27-2022, 05:55 AM
RE: Propane boiler replacement intel - by m+j_matlin - 11-28-2022, 03:34 PM
RE: Propane boiler replacement intel - by Collie - 11-29-2022, 11:38 AM