The BIG MOOSE @ Blue Jay !
Hey JT hikers, dog walkers, mountain bikers,skiers: 

Lila ^-_-^ and I ran into the small group of Moose again up at Blue Jay this afternoon.  Again we saw 3, with one much larger than the other two.  Now (correct me if I am wrong Michelle or?) I am thinking that the BIG GUY is a Bull that has shed his antlers (duh).  According to the internet, they shed their antlers shortly after The Rut, which takes a load off of their necks (some weigh up to 60 ibs) and gives them a better chance to survive winter.  Now you know  Idea  Interesting that they refer to courting and mating as a "rut" ?!?!
Been there done that!   Big Grin

Today again, the Moose were in the Big Meadow, on the west side of the trail up in the trees, about half way down the trail.  There are tracks all over.  One of them bedded down near the Christmas tree trail a couple nights ago.  They were very "chill" (no pun) as we walked by.  I had been calling out to them and almost missed seeing them in the fog.  They just watched and munched.  

Give them respect and space and enjoy the interaction with mother nature!  So cool.

~ SOB john
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
The BIG MOOSE @ Blue Jay ! - by John Hardman - 01-02-2023, 05:52 PM
RE: The BIG MOOSE @ Blue Jay ! - by oakchezzar@gmail.com - 01-03-2023, 11:48 AM
RE: The BIG MOOSE @ Blue Jay ! - by John Hardman - 01-03-2023, 06:50 PM
RE: The BIG MOOSE @ Blue Jay ! - by John Hardman - 01-03-2023, 07:49 PM