Removing Bar-k, Jamestown and Ward sub forums and replacing them with a General Forum
Exclamation 
It appears that old habits die hard and I have noticed we are using the BB like it was the QT. The primary difference between the BB and the QT is that the BB allows for Threads (Conversations). Threads are awesome things because they allow us to group together a single conversation on a single topic. 

One sub forum can have as many threads as we would like. And a thread can be made for any item of conversation regardless of your location. For example, let's say I wanted to talk about Trash Pickup in Bar-K only. I could make a thread in the General Sub Forum called "Bar-K Trash Pickup". Now everyone knows this is a Bar-K conversation. If Jamestown wanted to discuss trash pickup, someone there could make a thread called "Jamestown Trash Pickup". Or maybe everyone just jumps in the original thread and we all start discussing general trash pickup. Well then, we can just rename the thread "Trash Pickup" and all post to the same Thread(Conversation).

A new sub forum by its very nature is meant to be important to only a SUBSET of the entire forum membership. Pickleball, for example, is a great sub forum. Only users who participate in Pickleball are interested in those conversations. Again a subset of our users.

The only other reason for a sub forum is if there are too many conversations (Threads) on a specific topic that it is crowding another forum. It is too early to see any needs here, once we use the system more we can determine if the other various sub forums are needed for heavily conversed topics.
EDIT: As mentioned below, security is another great reason for a sub forum, does viewing require login? etc...

I believe the current situation stems from trying to emulate a QT setup that is no longer pertinent. Therefore, I would like to reduce us to a single General sub forum for all conversations from Jamestown, Bark-K and Ward.

I am going to leave this Thread as my final example of the folly of multiple primary sub forums. This Thread will be posted to Bark-K, Jamestown and Ward. However, I will only be following one of the conversations. So if you want to join the conversation and post to this thread, where do you post? Do you reply on the Bar-k Sub? on the Jamestown sub? on the Ward sub? Choose wisely as I am only reading one of those three threads. Or you could reply three times I suppose... I hope everyone can see how this becomes a big mess real fast.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Removing Bar-k, Jamestown and Ward sub forums and replacing them with a General Forum - by Dan.Novak - 11-21-2021, 11:34 AM