Land line not working when power was out?
One of the things that will affect how long the land line lasts depends if the "box" the phone company is still using POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) or if it's been switched over to the newer technologies.  If the "box" is still POTS, that means it's still the copper cables and does not need the power grid (the downside is that one cannot get as fast of internet speeds through a POTS system).  If the "box" has been upgraded then it will rely on the power grid (and a set of backup batteries).

Jamestown's service is fiber optics, not POTS (I believe the conversion started even before the flood).  Down canyon the phone services might still be POTS based.

(02-22-2023, 11:52 AM)JamieP Wrote: I got a hold of someone super helpful at Century Link and have an appointment for a tech to come to my house at 8:30 tomorrow morning. I hope it's true and I get to talk to a real person in the flesh!

Hey .. since you are going to have a face-to-face with a real service person, mention to them that at Elliot's pitch there is a tree that is leaning heavily on the fiber cable.  The tree is on the right side of the stream bank just before the big hair-pin turn (as you head down the canyon from Jamestown).  It appears that the ground near the base of the tree is washing out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Land line not working when power was out? - by CheyenneWills - 02-22-2023, 12:48 PM