I have a new kitty and have a question for cat servants
What my cursory research shows is that toxoplasmosis incidence is reported internationally,
and it's hard to tell how many deaths occur in US from it - I saw as low as 30 per year, and as high as 300.
Since it's not nationally reportable to CDC, it's hard to tell.  
Most cases resolve spontaneously, but pregnant women seem to be at risk.
The economic damage may be $7.7Bn, excluding predations caused by hedge fund managers and investment bankers
who become psychopaths and misallocate resources.  
For my part, I'm gonna become vegan and lay off the raw goat's milk.

Seriously - it seems low risk in a mountain setting.
See excerpt below from:
https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/154...e_vignette 

However, owning a cat was not shown to be a risk factor for T. gondii infection in two studies of pregnant women (8, 9) or in a study of persons infected with human immunodeficiency virus (10). Protective factors include adhering to a meat-free diet (11), living at a high altitude or in an arid climate (12, 13), and living in a climate with frequent freezing and thawing (14). Outbreaks of toxoplasmosis have been attributed to ingestion of raw or undercooked ground beef, lamb, pork, or venison (15–20); consumption of unpasteurized goat's milk (21); and exposure to contaminated water (22, 23), soil (24), or aerosolized soil
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: I have a new kitty and have a question for cat servants - by RobertH - 07-01-2023, 06:38 AM