Grace in the canyon
Good afternoon neighbors-
Today I’m not wearing my fire hat. I wanted to share with you all a disappointment from my ride up the canyon this morning. As I was riding my bike uphill, well inside the climbing lane (shoulder that was widened for bicycles post flood to reduce bicycle/motorist interactions), one of our neighbors was driving down the canyon his arm outstretched almost in a supremacist salute, flying the middle finger at the cyclists in the climbing lane. What’s ironic is that he was headed downhill. I am amazed that any child of Jamestown, would be so aggressive towards other road users. Worse, this person is someone my wife taught at the JT school when she taught there.

The counterpoint is of course the other neighbors I recognized as I was riding and waved to, waved back.

There is no need or room for this kind of hostility. There are road users in cars, on motorcycles and on bicycles that are the minority bad apples. State law allows bicycles on all Colorado roads unless otherwise posted. It’s time we do a better job of sharing, enjoying the road and allowing other road users to enjoy the road as well. Many of our neighbors ride in the canyon, as do many of our firefighters staying in shape for the call.

There are a substantial number of cyclists who support the merc, and the 4[sup]th[/sup] of July pancake breakfast and other festivities. And Cyclists for Community made a sizeable donation to Jamestown post flood.

To the young man who was disrespectful, I had more encouragement today than your unkind gesture. I’m glad you don’t represent me, or any of our neighbors in town.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Grace in the canyon - by O'B's - 06-14-2024, 12:12 PM
RE: Grace in the canyon - by Annamaria - 06-14-2024, 03:28 PM