Bear Necessities…
Hi everyone.
I soo value peace and quiet, my anonymity and privacy, but here goes (you would not enjoy my dichotomy of thin skin and opinions, anyways Wink- )

Thank you John, for expending so much time and emotional energy to keep the SOB torch burning when so many of us have burned out and given up. When it’s time, I’m happy to help grow our team again. We are overdue.

3.5 points below:

1) for those of you who purchased a bear-resistant trash cart last year, the funds $$ generated from sales has covered the purchase of a secure dumpster which our Town Government (you are amazing!!) can use to store trash generated in public spaces and from events. There was enough to cover several months of disposal service as well. Hell yes!

2) the GRANT funding also allowed us to purchase a rather awesome electric fencing kit* ANY of you can request use of while you fix “the issue”, if your personal property is at risk or breached by our savvy bears. This is hands-down a tool not to be feared, but used effectively to help deter our bears from resources that result in problems for you and THEM. **

*Currently, the dang electric fencing kit is at my home, hopefully one day it will find a community space to reside at.

3) Would you like to borrow a game camera and share some photos of your wildlife with the community? I have a handful of cameras for us to use, in the spirit of fostering appreciation for
wildlife, but also to encourage our community to live responsibly, with the respect and aptitude it takes to keep wildlife wild.

0.5) A fruit-gleaning group is asking to assist landowners with fruit removal to reduce the habituation of bears to human developments like Jamestown (which leads to higher conflict, higher mortality rates for bears and an increased need for lethal means). This is also a Grant-funded service.

Lastly, I want to emphasis for like, the 12th year in a row…what you think ‘will be fine’, what your validating FB following says is acceptable practice to live harmoniously with bears, has narrowed significantly. We do not have the latitude formerly professed as workable solutions, so rethink your bird feeders, lock your car doors and close ground-level windows when you’re not at home because you made this agreement when you moved here.

Enormous thanks to those of you using air horns and throwing flying pans, for the hazing and for the entertainment.

If any of you would like to learn how to set up electric fencing, I need practice too! There are some workshops happening this summer. I cannot say enough about the workshop I recently attended hosted by Boulder Bear Coalition and some Sam-Elliot lookin’ dude from Canada who works with grizzlies. I want his job. Our CPW wildlife manager would also like to tinker with our new tool. Sounds like a BBQ to me (ok, that came out kinda wrong Cry )
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Bear Necessities… - by Michelle - 07-18-2024, 10:56 PM
RE: Bear Necessities… - by Rose H-H - 07-19-2024, 08:30 AM
RE: Bear Necessities… - by BurtL - 07-19-2024, 12:12 PM
RE: Bear Necessities… - by CheyenneWills - 07-19-2024, 04:24 PM
RE: Bear Necessities… - by burtonwc1 - 07-20-2024, 10:59 AM
RE: Bear Necessities… - by John Hardman - 07-20-2024, 11:30 AM