LHC OHV use. The saga continues…
Boulder County land managers in general have always been very prejudice to Mountain Biking (literally not 1 trail access point in Flat Irons) and as many a study has shown, when you limit any user group to a very small % of trail access, the little space they have gets nuked by over use and idiots that don't know how to build sustainable trails (e.g. "Dude Booter / Endure-Bro" Land at LHOHV).  That riding is god awful BTW, but its all that user group has in BOCO.  When you remove the renegade trail building component, numerous enviro studies actually show that MTB is one of the least impactful Non-motorized user groups on well managed lands.  Hikers and Horse Back are significantly more damaging hence all the restorative work at all of our 14'ers from litter and braided trails.
I worked with the USFS, Summit County and Town of Breckenridge Trails depts for many years in the early 2000's on this very issue that was once a problem there and now Summit County has expanded a vast trail network that's very sustainable with little user conflict.
My .02 - Give MTB more access.  And for the record, this is why I have to drive to other parts of the state to ride- BOCO riding sucks

(09-13-2024, 11:01 AM)Seth-Strickland Wrote: Boulder County land managers in general have always been very prejudice to Mountain Biking (literally not 1 trail access point in Flat Irons) and as many a study has shown, when you limit any user group to a very small % of trail access, the little space they have gets nuked by over use and idiots that don't know how to build sustainable trails (e.g. "Dude Booter / Endure-Bro" Land at LHOHV).  That riding is god awful BTW, but its all that user group has in BOCO (aside from a small handful of other very SHORT trails; Hiel, Hall etc.) When you remove the renegade trail building component, numerous enviro studies actually show that MTB is one of the least impactful Non-motorized user groups on well managed lands.  Hikers and Horse Back are significantly more damaging hence all the restorative work at all of our 14'ers from litter and braided trails.
I worked with the USFS, Summit County and Town of Breckenridge Trails depts for many years in the early 2000's on this very issue that was once a problem there and now Summit County has expanded a vast trail network that's very sustainable with little user conflict.
My .02 - Give MTB more access.  And for the record, this is why I have to drive to other parts of the state to ride- BOCO riding sucks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
LHC OHV use. The saga continues… - by Scott G - 09-12-2024, 10:50 AM
RE: LHC OHV use. The saga continues… - by EricH - 09-14-2024, 05:06 PM
RE: LHC OHV use. The saga continues… - by O'B's - 09-12-2024, 10:00 PM
RE: LHC OHV use. The saga continues… - by Seth-Strickland - 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM