Musica bonita
Photo 
SvH here.  As most of you know, I'm a roots music nut, having been permanently transmographied and discombobulated by celestial sound by the influence of the Kingston Trio and my late lamented cousin Mary back in the Fifties.  Nonetheless, I love all the myriad forms of music, and even occasionally enjoy the big band sounds of the Eddy Howard Orchestra I found in a box of my old man's records. Anyways, I thot I'd start a thread where you can drop musings and news about the stuff that tickles your own ear-bones.  This morning I found this neat article:  https://www.nodepression.com/through-the...og-part-3/  .  I like the part about how purchase of cd's or vinyl actually helps the artist much more than the "streaming" format.  Personally, I prefer the racket that ricochets from a good amp and a pair of kahunas. Clue us if you find something astounding.  I haven't heard the new Jake Xerxes Fussell record yet, but it won't be long  .  .  .  .         
(01-26-2022, 11:05 AM)Lynn Wilber Wrote: SvH here.  As most of you know, I'm a roots music nut, having been permanently transmographied and discombobulated by celestial sound by the influence of the Kingston Trio and my late lamented cousin Mary back in the Fifties.  Nonetheless, I love all the myriad forms of music, and even occasionally enjoy the big band sounds of the Eddy Howard Orchestra I found in a box of my old man's records. Anyways, I thot I'd start a thread where you can drop musings and news about the stuff that tickles your own ear-bones.  This morning I found this neat article:  https://www.nodepression.com/through-the...og-part-3/  .  I like the part about how purchase of cd's or vinyl actually helps the artist much more than the "streaming" format.  Personally, I prefer the racket that ricochets from a good amp and a pair of kahunas. Clue us if you find something astounding.  I haven't heard the new Jake Xerxes Fussell record yet, but it won't be long  .  .  .  .     

(01-26-2022, 11:05 AM)Lynn Wilber Wrote: SvH here.  As most of you know, I'm a roots music nut, having been permanently transmographied and discombobulated by celestial sound by the influence of the Kingston Trio and my late lamented cousin Mary back in the Fifties.  Nonetheless, I love all the myriad forms of music, and even occasionally enjoy the big band sounds of the Eddy Howard Orchestra I found in a box of my old man's records. Anyways, I thot I'd start a thread where you can drop musings and news about the stuff that tickles your own ear-bones.  This morning I found this neat article:  https://www.nodepression.com/through-the...og-part-3/  .  I like the part about how purchase of cd's or vinyl actually helps the artist much more than the "streaming" format.  Personally, I prefer the racket that ricochets from a good amp and a pair of kahunas. Clue us if you find something astounding.  I haven't heard the new Jake Xerxes Fussell record yet, but it won't be long  .  .  .  .     

Well, I have been fighting back at the snowstorm by cranking up some surf music. This was brought on by an article I read recently in a quarterly I subscribe to called the Fretboard Journal about the song "Walk don't Run" and the intersection between Jazz and Rock. This song, written by American jazz guitarist Johnny Smith is actually what, in Jazz, is known as a contrafact. This is a new melody written over an existing chord progression to create a wholly new song. In this case the song was a 1928 show tune called Softly, As In a Morning Sunrise. The Great American Songbook apparently has many examples of this.
If you have a chance listen to the original (tense and complex) then Chet Atkins (a little looser, and where the Ventures heard it) and then The Ventures simplified, easy to swallow little surf pill. 
I love music too Lynn.
Hey there Michael,  I checked those versions out - very kool.  I was really impressed with the original version,  some pretty danged fancy fretwork. Course we all (at least guys our age) grew up with the Ventures version, but I had no idea it came out of a jazz song. Thanx for the hot tip. SvH
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »