Smoke?
Hi all!

I’m smelling smoke in the Bar K and just want to make sure there’s nothing to worry about.

Thanks!
I just called about the smoke. I was told Boulder County is cover in smoke. They are aware of no fires.
Who did you call? I just looked on BCOEM and nothing, but will tune into Lefthand fire and see.
(06-13-2022, 07:59 AM)Beth Brotherton Wrote: I just called about the smoke. I was told Boulder County is cover in smoke. They are aware of no fires.

We usually have a nice clear view of Meeker/Longs and we can't see it at all! It looks like smoke cover.
(06-13-2022, 07:41 AM)Julia Wrote: I think it's coming from a fire in Saguache County
Thanks Beth! I assumed that the wind was blowing in smoke from other fires but just wanted to be sure. I know our local firefighters keep tabs on things for us but I’m just feeling a little twitchy with the heat, dryness and wind so early in the summer.

Thanks all! Prayers for rain and the safety of all of those experiencing fire!
Just read that it is smoke from other fires from AZ blowing into CO.

https://www.colorado.gov/airquality/colo_advisory.aspx
This from NOAA-
Some of you have asked about the smoky sky this morning. That smoke aloft is primarily drifting into Colorado from the Pipeline Fire near Flagstaff, AZ, which ignited yesterday.
Here's a forecast loop showing projected smoke through today.
[Image: 287137047_1940358423018743_8160895851250...e=62AC398E]
(06-13-2022, 07:41 AM)Julia Wrote: Hey Julia,
I wondered the same thing... Here's what air.gov says:=100% =100%Colorado Smoke Outlook

[Image: top.gif]=100%COLORADO SMOKE OUTLOOK:
Monday, June 13, 2022, 6:55 AM MDT

Smoke from wildfires in Arizona will be transported northeast to Colorado over the next few days. Although widespread public health impacts are not anticipated at this time, hazy skies and light to moderate concentrations of smoke can be expected at times through Wednesday morning. The best chance for noticeable smoke Monday morning will be for interior valleys in the mountains. In areas where smoke is apparent, unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion.

Light to moderate concentrations of smoke are also possible near small wildfires and prescribed burns around the state.

What if there is a wildfire or smoke in your area?
The focus of the Colorado Smoke Outlook is on large fires (e.g., greater than 100 acres in size). Nevertheless, smoke from smaller fires, prescribed fires, and/or smoke from new fires not yet known to CDPHE air quality meteorologists may cause locally heavy smoke. If there is smoke in your neighborhood, see the public health recommendations below.

Public health recommendations for areas affected by smoke:
If smoke is thick or becomes thick in your neighborhood you may want to remain indoors. This is especially true for those with heart disease, respiratory illnesses, the very young, and the elderly. Consider limiting outdoor activity when moderate to heavy smoke is present. Consider relocating temporarily if smoke is present indoors and is making you ill. [font]To temporarily relocate to an area with better air quality, consider using this map (https://fire.airnow.gov/) to identify the best area closest to you.[/font] IF VISIBILITY IS LESS THAN 5 MILES IN SMOKE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, SMOKE HAS REACHED LEVELS THAT ARE UNHEALTHY.
Cal

Hi all!

I’m smelling smoke in the Bar K and just want to make sure there’s nothing to worry about.

Thanks!

=100% =100%Colorado Smoke Outlook

[Image: top.gif]=100%COLORADO SMOKE OUTLOOK:
Monday, June 13, 2022, 6:55 AM MDT

Smoke from wildfires in Arizona will be transported northeast to Colorado over the next few days. Although widespread public health impacts are not anticipated at this time, hazy skies and light to moderate concentrations of smoke can be expected at times through Wednesday morning. The best chance for noticeable smoke Monday morning will be for interior valleys in the mountains. In areas where smoke is apparent, unusually sensitive people should consider reducing prolonged or heavy exertion.

Light to moderate concentrations of smoke are also possible near small wildfires and prescribed burns around the state.

What if there is a wildfire or smoke in your area?
The focus of the Colorado Smoke Outlook is on large fires (e.g., greater than 100 acres in size). Nevertheless, smoke from smaller fires, prescribed fires, and/or smoke from new fires not yet known to CDPHE air quality meteorologists may cause locally heavy smoke. If there is smoke in your neighborhood, see the public health recommendations below.

Public health recommendations for areas affected by smoke:
If smoke is thick or becomes thick in your neighborhood you may want to remain indoors. This is especially true for those with heart disease, respiratory illnesses, the very young, and the elderly. Consider limiting outdoor activity when moderate to heavy smoke is present. Consider relocating temporarily if smoke is present indoors and is making you ill. [font]To temporarily relocate to an area with better air quality, consider using this map (https://fire.airnow.gov/) to identify the best area closest to you.[/font] IF VISIBILITY IS LESS THAN 5 MILES IN SMOKE IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, SMOKE HAS REACHED LEVELS THAT ARE UNHEALTHY.
I've found the following to be helpful -> https://fire.airnow.gov/

The map can be set up to show any active fires in an area detected by satellites 
Below is the current report.  The "38 miles away to the SE" appears to be a small hot spot near DIA

-----Conditions Near Location Jamestown, Colorado
AIR QUALITY (PM[sub]2.5[/sub]) FIRE INFORMATION 
SATELLITE DETECTIONSThere are 10 satellite fire detections within a 150 mile radius of this location. The nearest satellite fire detection is approximately 38 miles away to the SE.

LARGE INCIDENTSNo large fire incidents within a 150 mile radius of this location.
(06-13-2022, 08:11 AM)Beth Brotherton Wrote: This from NOAA-
Some of you have asked about the smoky sky this morning. That smoke aloft is primarily drifting into Colorado from the Pipeline Fire near Flagstaff, AZ, which ignited yesterday.

Hi Beth,
Any chance you could share the URL for the NASA smoke loop? i couldn't find it.
Thanks
Hi all- our monsoonal flow pattern is starting which brings our weather up from the SW, gathering moisture sometimes from the Gulf of Mexico, sometimes from the Pacific. Either way, this is smoke from the Pipeline fire in AZ. We've got an engine set to go, and while we're in green-up on the front range, we're drying out quickly. If we head out it will likely be either the Saguache, Pipeline, or one of the new California starts. Never hesitate to call/ask about smoke, if we catch them small, we can get them out quickly.
(06-13-2022, 10:42 AM)Tim Stokes Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 08:11 AM)Beth Brotherton Wrote: This from NOAA-

https://udfcd.onerain.com/sensor/?site_i...1f8b5fb161

Hi Beth,
Any chance you could share the URL for the NASA smoke loop? i couldn't find it.
Thanks
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »