SOB Bear Announcements
I’m reading the BB from Lake Tahoe’s International Human-Bear Conflict Workshop. I sure wish we still had Science Night to provide an opportunity to share with you all topical research updates and stories from the 40 presentations and panel discussions I’m enjoying.

Take home messages:
1. Backyard chickens, small livestock, and apiaries are causing a lot of problems for bears and other carnivores when paired with human reluctance to use electric fencing.

2. Folks are simply underestimating the skill, strength, and curiosity of bears and not locking up homes, garages, or cars consistently to prevent the events that quickly teach bears problematic habits.

3. Trash, bird feeders, compost, recycling, and unlocked homes, windows left cracked open, and novel visual attractants (the empty cooler left outside, anything with a scent, etc) all continue to be the primary issues, despite decades of outreach.

4. Misinformation/perception about agency programs and responses (and management history and agency people like me are often at fault). Reluctance to call CPW.

5. HOW we share community information and “stories” about bear encounters can help or hinder community progress.

6. The longer and more times a bear is given access to items listed above, the more intense an aversion-training “experience” is needed.

Our CPW DWM may be able to help with hazing or securing attractants. It’s always worth calling Joe Padia and discussing the situation.

Boulder County received a grant to assist residents with trash containment (coming to JT/Bar-K next spring), electric fencing for apiaries/chickens, and game cameras to help track what’s going on out there.

That’s all for now!
Smile
Thanks for the updates!
Thanks Michelle! I appreciate the time you put into distilling 40 presentations into 6 simple points. Your passion for all things bear has a positive impact on our local bruins.
Bear Lives Matter!
Thank you, Michelle. I think maybe the Merc could be convinced to dedicate a night (maybe a Wednesday when there's not open mic) for a science night type presentation, especially because we have so many new folks in town that might appreciate learning more about their own new habitat and how to keep our bear neighbors safe. Or possibly Joe would come up and do something if not at the Merc, then the Town Hall? Just a thought. 

I must say that SOB John has been great about keeping us all informed, and your input is always valuable. It just never hurts to make sure that everyone is well informed, and your post is part of that! Thank you both!
(10-18-2022, 12:01 PM)Michelle Wrote: I’m reading the BB from Lake Tahoe’s International Human-Bear Conflict Workshop. I sure wish we still had Science Night to provide an opportunity to share with you all topical research updates and stories from the 40 presentations and panel discussions I’m enjoying.

Take home messages:
1. Backyard chickens, small livestock, and apiaries are causing a lot of problems for bears and other carnivores when paired with human reluctance to use electric fencing.

2. Folks are simply underestimating the skill, strength, and curiosity of bears and not locking up homes, garages, or cars consistently to prevent the events that quickly teach bears problematic habits.

3. Trash, bird feeders, compost, recycling, and unlocked homes, windows left cracked open, and novel visual attractants (the empty cooler left outside, anything with a scent, etc) all continue to be the primary issues, despite decades of outreach.

4. Misinformation/perception about agency programs and responses (and management history and agency people like me are often at fault). Reluctance to call CPW.

5. HOW we share community information and “stories” about bear encounters can help or hinder community progress.

6. The longer and more times a bear is given access to items listed above, the more intense an aversion-training “experience” is needed.

Our CPW DWM may be able to help with hazing or securing attractants. It’s always worth calling Joe Padia and discussing the situation.

Boulder County received a grant to assist residents with trash containment (coming to JT/Bar-K next spring), electric fencing for apiaries/chickens, and game cameras to help track what’s going on out there.

That’s all for now!
Smile
Many thanks Michelle!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »