Mtn Lion Incidents in Ned Area
Hi everyone - I wanted to share this information from the NedHeads group on Facebook. I know we've seen a few lions in our area recently. 

---------
For the mountain lion incident tracker, I went through all of yesterday's comments and entered them in a timeline and on the map. Thanks to everyone who told us about events. 

The map is now set up so that you can enter events. Please share the map link to other groups in the area that you are a member of. We'd like to get more information from Sugarloaf and Gilpin. Here is the link: =AT1NdkRkGf-6lwLkWx6aCeWK_T2JoFtAIa6awGSxi5dlTNjyoLEIS-sgvXkm--zPyOE07aT6QF8F44yrl1cb8iX-lDRnZl5JygfEn8gKbszYZ2NWIWXVqk5ZKHmH6kdK3nBe8HHX5Qk1wsVSyKnzVftX8boufhXHt_SB8xlThMyU2tNcMDMQwMgwxiG5qR7eqWkkPMhIaqLRT7BBQtwZ8AGKeFFqv6pzZS7V0_qTqX6IEJ0nu39KB7KkrTVJ1bUe2raVA0DY8NDYyTBu0hzSw6JkSnYB1TxAlRXrym4S47xNtsP2sJcWLg]http://www.wildlifetrackercolorado.com/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR32YhgzCbNX1-trKL43R5MrT453vTC3HMqR5ikoscWNE0Gt5ILLzllNW0c

The biggest commonality among these events is that they often happen next to a person's house and often in a fenced yard. They happen in the late afternoon or night. Going out into the yard with your pet is NOT enough (many dogs have been taken from next to their owners). So far, it appears that leashed dogs are far safer. My advice is to take your dog out on a leash from late afternoon onward. Wear a headlamp to scan for wildlife eye shine. Immediately go inside if you see eyes.

Thanks again. I am so sorry that so many beloved pets have been killed or injured. This list is heartbreaking.
Hey Jaime ~

Thanks for the information!  Kinda scary for sure!  I am guessing that it is the same LION doing most of the damage, or a small group of LIONS (most likely young males) that 
are assimilating/copying, the behaviour.  The "100th Monkey Effect" perhaps?  Bears learned to open car doors over 50 years ago.  

I would add to your suggestions on staying safe, in your backyard etc: Turn on lots of lights, install motion sensitive solar lights, they are relatively cheap.
(the are also very helpful when the power goes out, just attach them in such a way that you can bring them inside).  

Make noise, talk in a loud voice etc.  When it is BEAR season and lots of activity,  when I let Lila out in her "fenced in yard", I will shout out loud "Here We COME!" etc.

These animals are very intelligent and not looking to risk injury just for a lunch break!
Fenced in yard makes it easier to catch it's prey!

Check out this video from up in Vail!   Heart

​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH__M5Oq4cQ

Maybe Michelle can chime in on this topic.  She indicates that the BEAR & LION population are thriving.  
And that actually makes me "HAPPY"! 

WE CAN CO-EXIST!  WE CAN!
We are the more intelligent species, let's PROVE IT!

~ SOB john
Here is a fixed link:

Mountain Lion Encounters Near Nederland, CO and surrounding communities
Thanks Cheyenne!

Here is the recording of the Mountain Lion Presentation that was given the other night. Mtn Lion Talk
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »