The BIG MOOSE @ Blue Jay !
Hey JT hikers, dog walkers, mountain bikers,skiers: 

Lila ^-_-^ and I ran into the small group of Moose again up at Blue Jay this afternoon.  Again we saw 3, with one much larger than the other two.  Now (correct me if I am wrong Michelle or?) I am thinking that the BIG GUY is a Bull that has shed his antlers (duh).  According to the internet, they shed their antlers shortly after The Rut, which takes a load off of their necks (some weigh up to 60 ibs) and gives them a better chance to survive winter.  Now you know  Idea  Interesting that they refer to courting and mating as a "rut" ?!?!
Been there done that!   Big Grin

Today again, the Moose were in the Big Meadow, on the west side of the trail up in the trees, about half way down the trail.  There are tracks all over.  One of them bedded down near the Christmas tree trail a couple nights ago.  They were very "chill" (no pun) as we walked by.  I had been calling out to them and almost missed seeing them in the fog.  They just watched and munched.  

Give them respect and space and enjoy the interaction with mother nature!  So cool.

~ SOB john
SO COOL, JOHN!
John, the bigger moose sure could have been a bull but many won't shed until later in January.  In early December, well after the rut, my yard trail cams caught three different bulls with antlers intact.  Bulls that have shed antlers would have the antler bases or pedicles  still visible.  They protrude about 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the skull cap.  You might need binoculars, or use a camera to zoom in on the image.  It's a sure way to tell even young bull calves from cow calves.

There's been a cow moose in the yard lately but I'm pretty sure she's a yearling calf.  Big, but not quite as big as a mature cow.  Neighbors have reported a cow with two calves in the area, so that may be a possibility for a threesome group.
Hey Steve ~ I was thinking just what you are saying about dropping antlers in January.  I have not been close enough to see Antler nubs.  Where they have been hanging out, there are not many trees for protection so I am giving them lots of space and conversing with them in a friendly voice.  I have seen quite a few Moose and this male/female (did I state that correctly?) is BIG.  I also know that just cause it's on the internet, doesn't mean it's true.  

We are going to be seeing lots of Moose on the Mountain.  I had never seen a Moose near JT, until after the flood.  Now it's very common. 
Moose in the Hood. They are way cool!

Sal sees allot more Moose than I do.  Maybe he will chime in (probably with photos) of Bull Moose with/without Antlers lately up there. Just curious.  

~ j
A few years ago I spotted a moose laying down in the dark forest of the yard among dead and down trees.  My impression was that it was a cow preparing to give birth.  A couple minutes later the moose spotted me but didn't moove.  I snapped a quick photo and got out of there.  For several days I thought it was a cow giving birth so stayed away from the area.  But a zoom-in of the photo revealed the pedicles.  I'm glad he didn't charge me for thinking he was giving birth.

Looking back on my notes of the moose giving birth, I had "followed fresh moose tracks and along the route were fine spatters of diffuse blood, not like from an open wound but more like from maternal bleeding".....

Here's the photo, cropped to reveal the pedicles:

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else will.
I hear you Steve.  A couple years ago we were hiking at Owen's Flats.  Lila was trailing behind me.  I turned to look for her and walked back up the trail. 
I walked around a small Ponderosa and came eye to eye with a young Bull.  (he had like a couple three spikes).  He was locked in on Lila til I showed up.
He looked at her, turned to me, and charged.  Whoa Nelly! The only protection, was the tree he was behind.  I must have walked right past him and didn't see him before. 
I started running.  Lila sprung into action Barking like crazy.  Mr. Moose paused to deal with her.  I called her and kept running and we made it to safety. 
It can happen SO FAST!.  Good Girl LILA ^-_-^. ! ! !

~ j
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »