Water delivery?
Water supplier needed. Mile Hi has brought water to our house for the last four years. I requested a fill up on 12/06/2022 but they have not delivered. Have left a follow up call every week since but no response. Last time this happened they had truck problems. Anyone else having the same experience? Anybody know of another delivery service? We are almost dry. Please call me 303-442-7157 if you know of another supplier or are having a similar experience? Thanks.
As we have a truck, we found it more affordable over the years to purchase a trailer and a water tank and get our own in Hygiene. Current rate aprox $1/65 gallons. The tank and trailer paid for themselves very quickly. Worth even if only for the occasional emergency when Mile Hi can’t get to you. At Lyons it’s a commitment: $25 a month +5 dollars per 1000 gallons. But I totally understand if you don’t have a truck or the desire to schlep it.
(01-14-2023, 11:49 PM)Jay Wrote: As we have a truck, we found it more affordable over the years to purchase a trailer and a water tank and get our own in Hygiene. Current rate aprox $1/65 gallons. The tank and trailer paid for themselves very quickly. Worth even if only for the occasional emergency when Mile Hi can’t get to you. At Lyons it’s a commitment: $25 a month +5 dollars per 1000 gallons. But I totally understand if you don’t have a truck or the desire to schlep it.

Hi. Thanks for your input. We are thinking along the same lines. My brother and I are going to look at a GMC extended cab tomorrow morning. We have a 400 gallon tank that should fit in the bed. It will require multiple trips to fill our 1800 gallon cistern but the peace of mind is worth it despite the up front expense. Maybe we'll even find a plow that fits so we can do our driveway and be totally self sufficient.
Remember that a gallon of water weighs about eight pounds, so 400 gallons is about 3,200 pounds, or a little over a ton and a half.  For typical payload capacities, I think that means you should be looking for a 2500 model in the GMC/Chevy brand, not a 1500 model.  
But a GMC/Chevy 1500 can tow that much on a trailer pretty easily, I think.  Maybe getting a 1500 pickup and a trailer would be less expensive than a comparable 2500 pickup.
Joe
Peapodd I agree with Joe. Know your individual vehicle’s payload capacity (quite different from the towing capacity). Usually found in some form on the sticker of the driver’s door jam. My truck’s payload is around 2,000 lbs. subtract my weight and your left with a lot less! So in a pinch I’ll haul our 200 gallon tank in the truck bed, but for the 535 gallon leg tank I use a utility trailer with an axle designed for 5,000 lbs. The max I put in the leg tank is 480 gallons. If I fill it to 535 gal. I am way over the trailer’s axle weight (not to mention the additional weight of the empty tank at 200 lbs., and the trailer weighs 890 lbs.). Common single axle utility trailers have axles rated for about 3,200 lbs.
(01-16-2023, 12:37 AM)Jay Wrote: Peapodd I agree with Joe. Know your individual vehicle’s payload capacity (quite different from the towing capacity). Usually found in some form on the sticker of the driver’s door jam. My truck’s payload is around 2,000 lbs. subtract my weight and your left with a lot less! So in a pinch I’ll haul our 200 gallon tank in the truck bed, but for the 535 gallon leg tank I use a utility trailer with an axle designed for 5,000 lbs. The max I put in the leg tank is 480 gallons. If I fill it to 535 gal. I am way over the trailer’s axle weight (not to mention the additional weight of the empty tank at 200 lbs., and the trailer weighs 890 lbs.). Common single axle utility trailers have axles rated for about 3,200 lbs.

Thanks Joe and Jay. A GMC 2500 might be the way to go. I would prefer to haul 400 gallons in the bed rather than tow a trailer but may have to go with a trailer depending on how my limited funds would be best used. I have an old Lexus with towing capacity of about 3200# and could probably haul 1/2 to 2/3 of a tank at a time on a trailer which means I would have to find a trailer with an axel rated at 2300# +/- Is that correct? Towing distance of about 1 mile. The only problem I have with that is that it would be hard on my tranny. What do you think? Thanks.
Safest plan for tranny and road handling/braking is not towing more than half your max tow rating. As you approach the max rating wear and tear and safety are affected. Also, subtract 10-15% of (trailer weight + tank + water) as part of your Lexus’ payload capacity. Towing weight is what it pulls, payload capacity is what you can carry including people and gear IN the vehicle. So that’s two different calculations. And yes you want an axle that can handle your load with a little room.

Only towing 1 mile?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »