Bears
Abundant Bears About!
We noticed both bear-proof trash cans at the big park were on their sides this morning. It was obvious that a bear had tried to get into them. Also, 3 large bear-sized poops on Mill St. between our house and the Stop sign.
(10-11-2023, 08:38 PM)brothertonbeth@msn.com Wrote: Abundant Bears About!
We noticed both bear-proof trash cans at the big park were on their sides this morning. It was obvious that a bear had tried to get into them. Also, 3 large bear-sized poops on Mill St. between our house and the Stop sign.

Jesse & Dave’s sweet dog Blue got in a tussle with a bear in the wee hours this morning on west Main. Poor Blue had to be patched up.
Thanks for the POSTS!   I have seen some Bear scat around town and up in the hills around Blue Jay. 
There is still fruit on some of the local trees, so OUR BEARS will be hanging around.  

Lila has been ON ALERT during the night several times in the last few weeks, LAST NIGHT was one of them, so I know they are out there.
I hope Jesse's pup Blue is OK.  I would suggest being careful letting your dogs out when there is a Bear near by.
OUR BEARS are docile creatures for the most part, but this time of the year they are in survival mode.  

Clean and Locked
Cars and Homes
Stash That TRASH!

Help Us SAVE OUR BEARS JT

~ SOB john
(10-12-2023, 08:03 AM)Jyoti Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 08:38 PM)brothertonbeth@msn.com Wrote: Abundant Bears About!

Jesse & Dave’s sweet dog Blue got in a tussle with a bear in the wee hours this morning on west Main. Poor Blue had to be patched up.

Thanks.  Shame on us for not cleaning up the apples better and taking him out to potty without a leash.  He startled the bear while eating apples, not sure if it was a swipe, stepped on, or bite.  There was a wet "mouth like" mark all across his back, but the punctures are far apart....  Any ideas?  Possibly a broken rib, too.  We are very fortunate, it could be a lot worse

Attached Files Image(s)

Poor Blue! So sorry for you all!
(10-12-2023, 08:18 AM)John Hardman Wrote: Hey John,

Bears are smart, obviously.  Seems the bear is coming back every morning and doing a good job of eating up the apples.  My thinking is to just let him finish them off while we're sleeping- not letting Blue out, obviously.  Saw him in the tree this morning around 4am using a flashlight after hearing apples hitting the house- and there are now five poops to clean up. 
 I have been wanting to get the trees removed since I bought the house in 2016,  more of a priority now since this week's experience, to not have an attraction now that Blue lives here full time-(Note: Blue has been here for two years now, but last year we had no fruit due to hard freeze.  Dave is aware it was a reality check, and we are very fortunate his injuries weren't any worse)   I've contacted a few companies already, waiting to hear back.  Curious if you think there is a better approach for the next week or so?
The apples are so high up even our apple picker tool can't reach them...
Open to advice

Thanks, SOB

Thanks for the POSTS!   I have seen some Bear scat around town and up in the hills around Blue Jay. 
There is still fruit on some of the local trees, so OUR BEARS will be hanging around.  

Lila has been ON ALERT during the night several times in the last few weeks, LAST NIGHT was one of them, so I know they are out there.
I hope Jesse's pup Blue is OK.  I would suggest being careful letting your dogs out when there is a Bear near by.
OUR BEARS are docile creatures for the most part, but this time of the year they are in survival mode.  

Clean and Locked
Cars and Homes
Stash That TRASH!

~ SOB john
Jese ~

My best advice is to let your Bear get the apples.  Keep in mind that the more this Bear hangs around, the more likely
he/she will explore around your house and the neighbors.  My guess is Our Bear will get those apples in a few days.
Keep a porch light on, might be a good idea as far as being able to see what Our Bear is up to.  

Don't know if you have seen this guy.  I would be curious about it's color, size etc,  if possible.  There has been a Black young adult
hanging around town frequently.  I have seen signs up in the hills too (apples in their you know what).  I have not seen any bird seed in 
these scats and the makes me happy! 

Let me know what transpires and when Our Bear stops showing up at your house. 

~ john
(10-15-2023, 12:57 PM)Jese Engwall Wrote:
(10-12-2023, 08:18 AM)John Hardman Wrote: Hey John,

Bears are smart, obviously.  Seems the bear is coming back every morning and doing a good job of eating up the apples.  My thinking is to just let him finish them off while we're sleeping- not letting Blue out, obviously.  Saw him in the tree this morning around 4am using a flashlight after hearing apples hitting the house- and there are now five poops to clean up. 
 I have been wanting to get the trees removed since I bought the house in 2016,  more of a priority now since this week's experience, to not have an attraction now that Blue lives here full time-(Note: Blue has been here for two years now, but last year we had no fruit due to hard freeze.  Dave is aware it was a reality check, and we are very fortunate his injuries weren't any worse)   I've contacted a few companies already, waiting to hear back.  Curious if you think there is a better approach for the next week or so?
The apples are so high up even our apple picker tool can't reach them...
Open to advice

Thanks, SOB

Clean and Locked
Cars and Homes
Stash That TRASH!

~ SOB john

for Blue. You know what they say "chicks dig scars!"
(10-15-2023, 06:57 PM)John Hardman Wrote: I did see him once using the flashlight (super dark outside)  He was black and small-ish, surprised the tree could hold his weight.  Sounds like the one you mentioned.
I don't have a porch light on that side of the house...  I'll keep you posted once we think he's moved on.  Doesn't appear to have come back last night.

Rich, haha!

Jese ~

My best advice is to let your Bear get the apples.  Keep in mind that the more this Bear hangs around, the more likely
he/she will explore around your house and the neighbors.  My guess is Our Bear will get those apples in a few days.
Keep a porch light on, might be a good idea as far as being able to see what Our Bear is up to.  

Don't know if you have seen this guy.  I would be curious about it's color, size etc,  if possible.  There has been a Black young adult
hanging around town frequently.  I have seen signs up in the hills too (apples in their you know what).  I have not seen any bird seed in 

~ john
(10-16-2023, 08:05 AM)Jese Engwall Wrote:
(10-15-2023, 06:57 PM)John Hardman Wrote: I did see him once using the flashlight (super dark outside)  He was black and small-ish, surprised the tree could hold his weight.  Sounds like the one you mentioned.
I don't have a porch light on that side of the house...  I'll keep you posted once we think he's moved on.  Doesn't appear to have come back last night.

Rich, haha!

Jese ~

~ john

Hey Jese ~

Sounds like it IS the Young Bear I saw a couple weeks ago.  That might explain the tussle with Blue.
Most Bears, even the Big Guys are not comfortable with Dogs and try to avoid them if possible. 
Hope he gets his fill and stays out of trouble.  

Thanks for the intel Jese!

~ SOB john
We had visitors last night that we found evidence of come morning. Tonight we caught them in the act, two, maybe a mother and cub? They spooked easily, one of them jumping straight out of our apple tree.

https://youtube.com/shorts/B3p40TnUEPQ?s...JOnGs8A1QO
LSarah ~

Awesome video!  The Bear in your video and the Cub (not sure i saw in video) look like the same Bears that were hanging on Mesa
eating apples a few weeks ago.  Mama looks quite healthy!  Lila got all worked up about 3AM so I figured we had company in the Hood.
Maybe it was these guys in Jese's yard too.  The Young Bear I saw recently was Black.   Mama and Cub on Mesa are Red/Brown. 

Thanks for sharing. We still have a ways to go and there is more fruit to be gleaned.

Save OUR BEARS JimTown

~ SOB john
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »