Town Historians?
As a part of a course I am taking, I'm looking for someone who is a bit of a buff on Jamestown history and/or local Native American history to talk to.  This course is on graphic memoir and illustrated non-fiction. I am not sure where my interview(s) with local contacts will take me (perhaps inclusion in my project or not depending on what I learn).  Right now, my proposed theme is my family's exploration of and learning about our cool new home-town. I am particularly interested in meeting folks who know some of the mining history and pre-mining history of the area. 

Alternatively, if you can point me to any published materials, documented history, or historical society resources, I would take that too!

Thanks!
Hi  For some town history you might try Mary Ellen Burch, the Sapps, or Larry Hittle.  There is also a little book at the Merc called "Elysian Memories" or something along that line.  I also have a few books myself with info on early Jimtown such as "Stampede to Timberline" by Muriel Wolle, "Crofutt's Gripsack Guide of Colorado", and a geology pamphlet on the Jamestown Mining District describing most of the local mines extant in 1881.  Louis Mauer may also have some helpful info. SvH
If you have not already done so, going to the town website, www.jamestownco.org ,and clicking on about and history will get you to a number of writings on the history including the Mountain Memories compiled in 1976.  

Still, I think you are also looking for in person discussions so I hope some folks will come forward to talk with you.  Lynn Wilber, who already posted, is just across the street from you, and Mary Ellen also practically across the street. 

And, btw, welcome to town! 

Burt Loupee and KT Oxford (currently noteworthy for our yard full of Halloween stuff)  ;-)
Dear Licata family, I still have a half dozen copies of Mountain Memories ($20 each). Available to anyone. I also have a brief history of the Blue J which I learned from the BC historian (which I wrote down after we walked the Blue J together when it was for sale in 2000)(I forget her name); the historian informed me and BC representatives about the history when BC was investigating whether to procure the 41 acres of land around the Blue J (this land was bought by BC from the owners, along with a $7000 contribution from our town, toward filing a conservation easement) and us now referred to as the BC Blue J Open Space. Happy to share! And I too basically live across the street from you! (Tim and I got the detailed chicken coop tour from Octavia & Julian the other day!)
Thank you all for these great responses!  I have reviewed the website and found one other that has some history as well. I will definitely be in touch with a few of you to get more information, and am looking for an in person interview in addition to the reading material.
The Mountain Memories book is in need of a V2 -
I wonder who might be interested in this as a project,
and also if anyone can recommend some free collaboration
software for said project.
I hear too many horror stories about wordpress, and wonder if 
someone has experience with something better.
Robert, I have been thinking exactly the same thing.  Coming up on 50 years of history since the first one and a lot of folks are here with stories to be remembered and retold.  In this age it seems like potential for it to be a multimedia collection.  Not sure how to organize that but I second that a second one is due.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »