Everyone Current site projects
Lightbulb 
It’s been a busy Holiday season thus far and I wanted to keep in touch regarding the work taking place on our site. Below you will find a list of our current projects in the order of planned completion. If there are any other suggestions, please post them here. I can look into them and either add to the list or let you know why they are not feasible at this time.
  1. Publish QT Archive - The scraped data has been provided for both the Bar-k and Jamestown QT. There are challenges in publishing 18 years of archive data without negatively affecting the performance of our site. In addition, the format of the QT is dramatically different from the BB. To that end, I have decided to publish this data on two separate sub-domains. The data will be presented in an infinite scroll format with the ability to search the post body to limit results. Additional search/sorting requests will need to be discussed after the initial launch of this data and added to this list.
  2. Post Tags - Someone, somewhere, requested that we have the ability to tag posts as either for Jamestown or for Bar-K in the general discussion section. This functionality is supported and I should be able to implement it. However, there are several changes required to templates and stylesheets to make this functional.
  3. Display full post in email notifications - I have looked into this functionality and unfortunately it is not supported. There are options for changing core files on the site to make this happen but there are several drawbacks to performing a core edit. Unfortunately, the change would be reverted whenever the site is updated requiring a manual update of all changed core files. As these core files could change between updates, it would require time and effort to make sure the functionality is still working after each update. It may be possible to program a custom plugin that will implement this functionality, However, this would be a time intensive undertaking. I am leaving this on the list as low priority due to the complexity of implementation.  Provided Daily Digest with a 400 chars displayed per post.
  4. Turn on Thread Prefixes
That’s the list, I’ll update as items are completed or new items are requested.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan,
  On item #2, would it be possible to add a filter so we could select the individual neighborhood or all?

Thanks for your work

Gary
Dan, Is it possible to get a daily digest emailed? I found the ‘new thread’ notification, but don’t see the other -which might be just newbie me. Blush
Thanks for your work on the BB!
Thanks Dan. I appreciate your abundant competence, commitment, and care.
The Archives have been completed.

In regards to Thread Tags, I went ahead and added Jamestown and Bar-k Post icons to the Icon set. This will allow you to flag a thread for Jamestown or Bar-k more distinctly.

This leaves us with the request for providing full threads/posts in emails. As mentioned above, that won't be possible without core changes. However, the suggestion to provide a daily journal could be implemented outside of MYBB. This would require some effort though. Is there enough interest in a daily journal feature to warrant that effort? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dan

(12-12-2021, 02:37 PM)GCouture Wrote: Dan,
  On item #2, would it be possible to add a filter so we could select the individual neighborhood or all?

Thanks for your work

Gary

Gary,

You could theoretically search by the icon tagged to the thread, but your results would only include threads in which a user decided to actually use the icon to tag the thread. 

Thanks,
Dan
Jamestown 
Thanks for all your work on this, Dan - it's so nice to still have a place to communicate with neighbors!
I got a daily digest request from Erica Forbes - so at least one more person would like it.
BAR-K 
(03-11-2022, 12:43 PM)RobertH Wrote: I got a daily digest request from Erica Forbes - so at least one more person would like it.
Thanks for reviving this thread Robert. I haven't looked at the local BB in a month or so because the posts don't show up in my email inbox. I've tried subscribing, but for whatever miss I created, I have only received a couple of emails. It would be great to stay connected (to reconnect) with our neighbors. with respect, Jeff
I have installed a Daily Digest plugin, however it was written for myBB 1.6. I have updated the version requirements but am unsure if there are other incompatibilities. The plugin should send daily email summaries from all subscribed forums. In theory, it should ignore the built in three day rule that stops sending you emails from subscribed forums and threads when you haven't logged in for three days or more.

However, I have yet to see if it even works. Although I do see a task scheduled; everyone should receive an email digest within 24 hours.

Thanks,
Dan
Thanks Dan, the 3 day rule answers a lot of questions. No wonder I stopped receiving emails.

Personally, I am not interested in adding logging onto another website to my weekly/daily schedule. In the QT UI I could go several months without logging on to post something. Getting to scan all the local posts in a daily email was simple and time efficient for me. That said, I could be simply too far out of sync with an ever more screen based society.

My use case aside, thank you for all your heart, smart, and work to create and maintain our local BBS. I appreciate all the energy you’ve put into making it work.
Jeff
Hi Dan!
Thank you so much! I woke this morning to the BB Daily Digest and it was like old times! Smile I also couldn’t train myself to log on frequently and really appreciate being able to skim the news. Thanks to others who also requested this feature.
Laurel
Hi Dan, Thanks for everything you are doing so we can have a message board. For those of us who do not want the emails in our inbox, how can we unsubscribe from those? I’ve looked and haven’t found a way to do so. Thanks again, Jen
(12-12-2021, 12:41 PM)Dan.Novak Wrote: It’s been a busy Holiday season thus far and I wanted to keep in touch regarding the work taking place on our site. Below you will find a list of our current projects in the order of planned completion. If there are any other suggestions, please post them here. I can look into them and either add to the list or let you know why they are not feasible at this time.
  1. Publish QT Archive - The scraped data has been provided for both the Bar-k and Jamestown QT. There are challenges in publishing 18 years of archive data without negatively affecting the performance of our site. In addition, the format of the QT is dramatically different from the BB. To that end, I have decided to publish this data on two separate sub-domains. The data will be presented in an infinite scroll format with the ability to search the post body to limit results. Additional search/sorting requests will need to be discussed after the initial launch of this data and added to this list.
  2. Post Tags - Someone, somewhere, requested that we have the ability to tag posts as either for Jamestown or for Bar-K in the general discussion section. This functionality is supported and I should be able to implement it. However, there are several changes required to templates and stylesheets to make this functional.
  3. Display full post in email notifications - I have looked into this functionality and unfortunately it is not supported. There are options for changing core files on the site to make this happen but there are several drawbacks to performing a core edit. Unfortunately, the change would be reverted whenever the site is updated requiring a manual update of all changed core files. As these core files could change between updates, it would require time and effort to make sure the functionality is still working after each update. It may be possible to program a custom plugin that will implement this functionality, However, this would be a time intensive undertaking. I am leaving this on the list as low priority due to the complexity of implementation. 
That’s the list, I’ll update as items are completed or new items are requested.

Thanks,
Dan
(03-11-2022, 07:05 PM)Hohensee Wrote: Thanks Dan, the 3 day rule answers a lot of questions. No wonder I stopped receiving emails.

Personally, I am not interested in adding logging onto another website to my weekly/daily schedule. In the QT UI I could go several months without logging on to post something. Getting to scan all the local posts in a daily email was simple and time efficient for me. That said, I could be simply too far out of sync with an ever more screen based society.

My use case aside, thank you for all your heart, smart, and work to create and maintain our local BBS. I appreciate all the energy you’ve put into making it work.
Jeff

I am in the same boat. I liked how the QT came in my email.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »