Bear in the BarK
Bear took down our hummingbird feeders again early this morning. Ridge Road. It was our second attempt after waiting 2 weeks from the last incident. We will be taking them down for good now. I was late to reading this blog and didn’t realize so much bear activity has been present this year!
I didn’t see the message above until it was too late. For the first time in decades, a bear took down our feeders, also on ridge, in broad daylight. I think they waited until I went into the house to make tea and made very quick work of our feeders.

Tomorrow morning, I’m going to try an old dummy feeder with vinegar in it, cups of pine sol for stepping in and a motion activated alarm, to see if I can make their next experience here unpleasant. I’ll have a hose ready, just in case I can catch the buggar. Sorry hummingbirds Sad

This is definitely a problem bear and is going to take some unpleasant hazing to discourage at this point.
This Bear has been very active on Hickok as well, trashed my fence, a day or so later fresh scat in my driveway. There has been no food here for him.
The bears are not the cause of the problem, they become problematic when one tries to selectively feed the hummingbirds a food source that the bears favor as well. Bears and hummingbirds alike learn to identify food sources like feeders associated with structures, houses, vehicles, garbage cans, ect.

Bears don't care if it's broad daylight, midnight or moonlight.

Bears as do hummingbirds learn that a feeder is a food source. Doesn't take a college degree to figure it out, neither aforementioned have any formal education.
❤️ If I might humbly suggest hanging baskets full of trumpet shape flowers for the hummingbirds rather than the feeders. They are much prettier than the feeders. I would hate to see a bear removed or destroyed because humans are lacking understanding. Thanks for considering. ❤️
Do we have an ID on this BEAR?  BIG/little/CUB ?  (BIG = larger than a Great Pyrenees? ~ Little = Juvenile Smaller than Great Pyrenees ~ CUB = cub)

Black/Red/Cinnamon/Brown? Any distinctive markings? 

It would be good to know the ID of Our BAD Bears.  I am aware of at least 4 Bears currently in "Our neck of the woods". 
I am including JimTown, as I believe we are all dealing with pretty much the same Bears.  There are more, I am sure! 

We have 2 Adults (Large Bears)  One RED, one Black.  
We have 2 Juveniles/Knuckleheads.  One RED, one Black

It has primarily been the 2 Juveniles that have been raiding the bird feeders. Day & Night.
These guys need to be taught a lesson and HAZED if possible. 
AIR HORNS work quite well and alert the Neighborhood.  ($7 on Amazon)

I am happy to see us working together to manage OUR BEARS!  
They are just hungry guys ~ nothing personal.

Thanks for the postings.  It is very useful information if we are going to SAVE OUR BEARS!

Not everybody reads this Bulletin Board, so let your neighbors know when Our Bears are visiting. 

~ SOB john

PS: I have seen in person and/or via photos & videos, 3 of the 4 afore mentioned BEARS.  
     Thanks for all the participation and INTEL!  Love Ya! Love Our Bears!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »