Barking dog...again
Another peaceful night ruined by a non-stop barking dog. Please show some consideration for your neighbors and keep your dog quiet.
In my experience, the only way to stop this is to call Animal Control.  Responsible dog owners don't let this happen, and irresponsible owners only respond to law enforcement - these entitled goobers think JT is "the country" and that there are no regulations that apply to them.   Generally when a uniformed officer shows up, they respond to the first warning.   Sad to say,  I've never had a friendly discussion that ended with the dog being controlled.
(08-01-2024, 09:15 PM)donkol Wrote: Another peaceful night ruined by a non-stop barking dog. Please show some consideration for your neighbors and keep your dog quiet.

I'm at my wits end with the barking.

When the weather is nice, I can't have my windows open anymore.

It's like car alarms going off at random times for extended periods for no apparent reason.

The owners seem to be oblivious.

There's one poor dog on the extreme west end of Main Street that I heard barking almost nonstop for an hour recently as I worked in the yard. 
Either the owner wasn't home or is deaf. That can't be good for a dog to bark that much or for that long.

There are numerous online resources for training dogs not to bark, it just takes some effort on the owners part.
Thanks for the support, guys!
(08-01-2024, 09:15 PM)donkol Wrote: Another peaceful night ruined by a non-stop barking dog. Please show some consideration for your neighbors and keep your dog quiet.

You should calmly approach your neighbors and suggest they buy a bark collar for their dog. And put it on the dog every night. 
"You catch more flies with honey then vinegar"
(08-02-2024, 08:41 AM)donkol Wrote: Thanks for the support, guys!

Donkol, your avatar image is that of a dog, assuming you're a dog "Guardian", got any tips for the barker owner's?

As for support, there are a lot of folks tired of it, but afraid to say anything in fear of being labeled a dog hater.

I just had a Free-Ranger dog come into my yard, I stopped it before it pissed on my tires. 
I've spoken civilly to some of the owners about my concerns, they replied with they'll try to control their dogs.
I don't want to get Animal Control involved, it gets ugly, and more than likely would make the situation worse. 
I'm easy to get along with, and I'll state again, I've nothing against dogs, just don't have the need for one, they're a big responsibility, and if I had one, I'd be damned sure it didn't bother anyone.
Insta putty silicone ear plugs from McGuckin. Work great for lower frequencies of barking dogs.
(08-02-2024, 05:21 PM)Julia Wrote: Insta putty silicone ear plugs from McGuckin. Work great for lower frequencies of barking dogs.

One shouldn't need to wear earplugs...
Hey Hollis, our two dogs are no saints, so I am in no position to offer tips to anyone! However, there are some really nice dogs and dog owners around here. We just try to bring our pooches inside as quickly as possible if they start barking.
Common pet owner sense might be a barking dog could be in trouble or barking for no apparent reason. The owner checks on the dog to make sure it’s safe then brings the dog inside either way. Common courtesy. Otherwise call boulder county animal control.
(08-02-2024, 09:46 PM)donkol Wrote: Hey Hollis, our two dogs are no saints, so I am in no position to offer tips to anyone! However, there are some really nice dogs and dog owners around here. We just try to bring our pooches inside as quickly as possible if they start barking.

Agreed, and Thank You!
I was out in Boulder the night you posted the barking dog complaint,  I left the dogs out in the dog yard. It's possible the barking dogs were mine, although I often hear other dogs barking and you're not that close to my house. The following night I left them inside when I went to town, but when I returned , the kids had let them outside again .

They bark at bears , mountain lions and coyotes that come around. My new dog is a livestock guardian dog and unfortunately they bark a lot. There are at least a few LGDs, Great Pyrenees, Colorado mountain dogs, etc. , in our neighborhood these days, and they all bark sometimes. They are protecting me from predators. I've tried shushing them and telling them to be quiet ,but they don't listen. I try to keep them inside at night but can't always do that. If you are disturbed ,ling about 1/4- 1/2 mile away,  imagine how loud it is when they are barking right next to my bed. I have not tried smacking them yet, but it has recently been suggested that I do that. I might try it but I don't' know.

I don't have any money (x cut me off completely) to get those ant barking collars that is supposed to stop barking by buzzing and shocking the dogs when it barks, but if the neighborhood would like to take donations to purchase a couple of those collars, I'd try them out, even though my Great Pyrenees group is completely opposed to them.  I tried making a post about it, but the admin of the group rejected my post because I asked if anyone had tried the collars. I also don't have any money to pay an animal control ticket..not sure what happens in that case.
Jackie, your situation regarding your x sounds awful. Please don't use shock collars on your dogs as they can be cruel. I have trained my dog using Zak George's methods and it has worked well. You can use any small high reward treat for reinforcement. Please let me know if you need treats for training. I know it can be daunting but it is the persistent training that results in small changes that add up over time. 

I implore our neighbors to show you patience during your training. Please let us all know if we can help in any other way. Here is a link to Zak George's video on preventing barking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTi71Je1g_I
(08-04-2024, 11:34 PM)Dan Novak (Admin) Wrote: Jackie, your situation regarding your x sounds awful. Please don't use shock collars on your dogs as they can be cruel. I have trained my dog using Zak George's methods and it has worked well. You can use any small high reward treat for reinforcement. Please let me know if you need treats for training. I know it can be daunting but it is the persistent training that results in small changes that add up over time. 

I implore our neighbors to show you patience during your training. Please let us all know if we can help in any other way. Here is a link to Zak George's video on preventing barking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTi71Je1g_I
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »