Seeking Opinions on Starlink use in JT area
Hi all,

We’d heard CenturyLink had poor service but after waiting 6 weeks for an install that couldn’t be done because they didn’t send someone with a bucket truck, and then being told our next install date is Nov 15, we are done with them.

Are folks happy with StarLink service? Our place is in a narrower canyon section of town, so we’re hesitant to order the equipment without knowing if it will provide good service. Is there a way to check satellite coverage? We haven’t found a way to call and talk to someone.

Thanks for any intel!
Laurel & Bill
Hi Laurel and Bill,

I’m sure that others will chime in, but when I considered Starlink, you could use their app to find out what kind of coverage you’d have in different locations around your home. It’s the first time for me in 20+ years that I’ve had usable internet and the WiFi calling works well, when I have power.

I’m in the Bar K in a tricky spot for other coverage.
Hi Laurel,
    You can download their app for your phone.  You will have to get close to where you are installing their dish and scan the sky (just follow the directions).  The app will let you know if there are obstructions of concern.  You can decide to trim some trees if necessary.  Generally, you want an unobstructed view ~110 degrees in all directions.  You can install it on a pole if you need more height to get above obstructions.

Apple  

Android

[Image: Starlink-dish-required-100-degree-field-...he-sky.png]
This page is helpful
I live on Mesa Street and have Starlink. Sal DeVincenzo installed it for us. He’s super knowledgeable and could help you determine if it will work for you.
Thank you, everyone. This is good & helpful information and we now see how to check our area.

Laurel & Bill
I've had Starlink since last April, with no issues.

This unofficial site has useful info. https://www.starlinkhardware.com

And this YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/@StarlinkHardware
Hi Rose, 

I've had it for a month now with no issues. I literally just threw it on the ground and haven't mounted it yet and it works great. (Yes, YMMV with obstructions, but don't overthink it - If can see the sky reasonably well at all our area has good coverage). I intend to run it temporarily until Century Link gets installed and then cancel the account and keep the hardware boxed up as a backup. 

Tell them Hollis sent you so he gets a free month ;P

David
(10-02-2024, 08:40 AM)David L Wrote: Tell them Hollis sent you so he gets a free month ;P

David

Hollis never got his Free Month for a referral, however, the good folks/AI Bots at Starlink did email me about subscribing to their service and emailed me on the very same email address of my existing account, I might add.

Oh! The wonders of modern technology and customer service! :O)
(10-02-2024, 08:40 AM)David L Wrote: Hi Rose, 

I intend to run it temporarily until Century Link gets installed and then cancel the account and keep the hardware boxed up as a backup. 

Tell them Hollis sent you so he gets a free month ;P

David

I wish we had thought of this!!! We went on CenturyLink account and got a new date of Oct 17 for install. (Other try they didn’t understand we were already in progress.) if this fails, will definitely get Starlink & keep it for backup as we try to gain CenturyLink.
Elon Musk sucks!
avoid Starlink if at all possible….(ina capitalist society, we vote with our dollars)
we’re off-grid, and in a strange place for a satellite, so it was really hard to get any service that worked.
we had a Viasat account, but it was $180/mo. Then I found out that if you call Viasat and tell them yr switching to Starlink cos it’s cheaper, they will lower the price to match it. So instead of limited use for $180, we now get unlimited for $120.

Elon Musk sucks!
avoid Starlink if at all possible….(ina capitalist society, we vote with our dollars)
we’re off-grid, and in a strange place for a satellite, so it was really hard to get any service that worked.
we had a Viasat account, but it was $180/mo. Then I found out that if you call Viasat and tell them yr switching to Starlink cos it’s cheaper, they will lower the price to match it. So instead of limited use for $180, we now get unlimited for $120.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »