Golden Age Mine piece in Town Hall
Hi neighbors,

UPDATE:  Wow!  An anonymous donor just offered to pay for the restoration.  THANK YOU!

I'm curious if anyone would like to contribute for a cause (or if it's just my weird framer brain that feels something should be doneWink
I noticed that the framed Golden Age Mine piece in the Town Hall is in desperate need of some TLC (currently has no glass, mold, and is sagging out of the frame).  Mr. Maloney had an extensive collection and I feel like it would be worth preserving.
I'm more than happy to donate the plexiglass and labor to protect it, however the mold needs to be addressed before doing so.  I've got a quote from a local restoration contact for $300 to:
" This is something we see quite a bit. Mold and exposed air is not a friend to paper, but that stuff can be cleaned and neutralized with a deacidification bath, followed by it being linen backed(an archival mounting process).

That 's a lot of $ for me alone, but if any other folks would be interested in chipping in we can make it happen.  Please let me know.

Thank you for your consideration.
Thanks!
jes@boulderframeworks.com

Attached Files Image(s)

Jese, can you post a photo of the photograph you are interested in preserving? I can’t remember it. Thanks.
(02-17-2024, 09:22 PM)Wendystokes Wrote: Jese, can you post a photo of the photograph you are interested in preserving? I can’t remember it. Thanks.

The image was in the original post, here it is again.

I'll pick up the piece soon to get the project going.  We said goodbye to my boy Molinko this weekend Sad  I'll post updates as it's fixed up and returned to Town Hall.

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-16-2024, 12:24 PM)Jese Engwall Wrote: Love this!  I used this piece very loosely for reference as part of my project about Jamestown (yet to be finished because this winter got real with severe illness, but here's to hoping the healthy streak of the last two weeks holds). 

The photo/print (?) with Chief Lefthand is also worth someone's time for additional research and potentially conservation .... in my digging I found disagreeing sources about whether there are any photos of him that were taken in his lifetime ...and yet...  in Town Hall...is something that on immediate appearance seems to settle the matter. 

[Image: AP1GczPIBLBl0bjVWb4Iq60LhYug2G580N6omXs_...authuser=0]

Hi neighbors,

UPDATE:  Wow!  An anonymous donor just offered to pay for the restoration.  THANK YOU!

I'm curious if anyone would like to contribute for a cause (or if it's just my weird framer brain that feels something should be doneWink
I noticed that the framed Golden Age Mine piece in the Town Hall is in desperate need of some TLC (currently has no glass, mold, and is sagging out of the frame).  Mr. Maloney had an extensive collection and I feel like it would be worth preserving.
I'm more than happy to donate the plexiglass and labor to protect it, however the mold needs to be addressed before doing so.  I've got a quote from a local restoration contact for $300 to:
" This is something we see quite a bit. Mold and exposed air is not a friend to paper, but that stuff can be cleaned and neutralized with a deacidification bath, followed by it being linen backed(an archival mounting process).

That 's a lot of $ for me alone, but if any other folks would be interested in chipping in we can make it happen.  Please let me know.

Thanks!
(02-25-2024, 06:07 PM)licatafamily Wrote:
(02-16-2024, 12:24 PM)Jese Engwall Wrote: That's great.  I would be interested in taking a look at the pieces the town has and possibly trying to restore those in need.  However, that would be a long term project.  Maybe this spring I could get a scope of it.  The local restoration guy I use is Ben Earle at Bee Easy Restoration, if you'd like to reach out to him.  
Of course, I would plan to take care of the framing pieces needed through my business, and I could help coordinate the restoration.  Just gotta chip away one piece at a time- I do a lot of donations already...
I'm happy to see the interest in preserving this historySmile

Love this!  I used this piece very loosely for reference as part of my project about Jamestown (yet to be finished because this winter got real with severe illness, but here's to hoping the healthy streak of the last two weeks holds). 

The photo/print (?) with Chief Lefthand is also worth someone's time for additional research and potentially conservation .... in my digging I found disagreeing sources about whether there are any photos of him that were taken in his lifetime ...and yet...  in Town Hall...is something that on immediate appearance seems to settle the matter. 

[Image: AP1GczPIBLBl0bjVWb4Iq60LhYug2G580N6omXs_...authuser=0]

Hi neighbors,

Thanks!
Update:  The Golden Age Mine piece has finally been restored and is back hanging in the Town Hall.  Thank you to the anonymous donor who paid for the conservation of mold and new linen backing and to all who expressed interest in seeing this taken care of Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

(04-24-2024, 07:37 PM)Jese Engwall Wrote: Update:  The Golden Age Mine piece has finally been restored and is back hanging in the Town Hall.  Thank you to the anonymous donor who paid for the conservation of mold and new linen backing and to all who expressed interest in seeing this taken care of Smile

I am so happy the Golden Age Mine piece is back in place.  Thomas Maloney spent so much time researching and finding so many items of the Mine and the Town history.  He loved sharing all that history and I am glad all those items are with Jamestown.  He would be thrilled!  This Saturday, it is 10 years since his passing.  Miss him everyday, wisdom, honestly, sense of humor and humanitarian/historian ways……
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »