Hummers.....
are here! Saw one today!
Is there some secret trick to having hummingbird feeders in our bear-occupied area? How do you keep the sweet smell from attracting bears? Bring in the feeder every night? As much as I’ve always loved having the hummers, I’m out on bringing the feeders down every night.
Yes, we bring the feeders in every night
(04-24-2024, 07:32 AM)DonnaLeMert Wrote: Is there some secret trick to having hummingbird feeders in our bear-occupied area? How do you keep the sweet smell from attracting bears? Bring in the feeder every night? As much as I’ve always loved having the hummers, I’m out on bringing the feeders down every night.

Two solutions we use work best in combination.  First is an electric fence that surrounds the cabin.  It keeps the bears and moose away from the feeders.  Second is a pully system that raises the feeders up to a 9-10 foot height, out of the reach of bears.  If bears, raccoons or moose are successful in getting to a feeder, they will return.  Bears can smell the sugar water but the fence gently teaches them that they don't want to cross.  We raise the feeders just before dark, and lower them so we can watch from windows during the day. 

I built 15 pully lines around the house.  The lines are adjustable for different heights, and the birds readily find the feeders no matter the height.  The feeders hang just inside the eaves to protect from rain.  Any other feeders out in the yard are brought in for the night.

I'll illustrate what we have so that any handyperson can build one.  In May, I'll make some minor changes before staining the siding.

If you decide to do this, you're welcome to see my setup.  E-mail me through the BB.  --Steve

(04-24-2024, 10:09 AM)Steven B in PV Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 07:32 AM)DonnaLeMert Wrote: Is there some secret trick to having hummingbird feeders in our bear-occupied area? How do you keep the sweet smell from attracting bears? Bring in the feeder every night? As much as I’ve always loved having the hummers, I’m out on bringing the feeders down every night.

Two solutions we use work best in combination.  First is an electric fence that surrounds the cabin.  It keeps the bears and moose away from the feeders.  Second is a pully system that raises the feeders up to a 9-10 foot height, out of the reach of bears.  If bears, raccoons or moose are successful in getting to a feeder, they will return.  Bears can smell the sugar water but the fence gently teaches them that they don't want to cross.  We raise the feeders just before dark, and lower them so we can watch from windows during the day. 

I built 15 pully lines around the house.  The lines are adjustable for different heights, and the birds readily find the feeders no matter the height.  The feeders hang just inside the eaves to protect from rain.  Any other feeders out in the yard are brought in for the night.

I'll illustrate what we have so that any handyperson can build one.  In May, I'll make some minor changes before staining the siding.

If you decide to do this, you're welcome to see my setup.  E-mail me through the BB.  --Steve

Very ingenious engineering there! Thanks for sharing. I’ll give it a go
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »