frozen septic line.. need plumber or septic person?
I returned from MI and my septic pipes are frozen or clogged.  Had a neighbor take a look, and not sure if frozen in the crawl space or outside.  I have called a couple of plumbers (ned area) and they don't come to Bar K.  Any suggestions on who would come to assist with clog/ frozen pipes?  I have had the low areas ( laundry drain and downstairs toilet ) back up onto the floor, then recede.  tried running hot water and can for some minutes, but then still clogged and back up in same areas.  So looking for name of company person and not sure if it needs to be plumber or septic person?  thank you for input.  Happy New Year!
My next step would be to contact Acme Septic, Steve in the field and Tracey in the office, at acmeinc.87@gmail.com.  They are generally quite responsive and I am sure would recommend what to do next.
Thank you Burt. i got their name from a Ned guy, Jerry French, and called .  emailing with Tracey now.  they want me to dig out the access and take a pic inside the tank .  Working on that now, with help from nice neighbors.   Hoping they can come and clear the line soon.  Steve has been sick, so think they are a little behind, but will be fine waiting my turn.
That's a good step.  Plus if you see in the tank, especially if you dig up the access toward the inlet side, you will be able to run a little water and see whether it is running in to the tank.  Conversely if the plug is beyond the tank you will likely be viewing an overly full tank.  Good luck.
(01-04-2023, 02:19 AM)Wingham Wrote: I returned from MI and my septic pipes are frozen or clogged.  Had a neighbor take a look, and not sure if frozen in the crawl space or outside.  I have called a couple of plumbers (ned area) and they don't come to Bar K.  Any suggestions on who would come to assist with clog/ frozen pipes?  I have had the low areas ( laundry drain and downstairs toilet ) back up onto the floor, then recede.  tried running hot water and can for some minutes, but then still clogged and back up in same areas.  So looking for name of company person and not sure if it needs to be plumber or septic person?  thank you for input.  Happy New Year!

Wingham, I have had very good results from Garvin's Sewer Service.  They've been quick and helpful and charge less than I expected.  Don't charge if they can't fix it.  Nice folks too.  303-571-5114   garvinssewerservice.com
Lynwood
(01-04-2023, 11:47 PM)Lynwood Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 02:19 AM)Wingham Wrote: I returned from MI and my septic pipes are frozen or clogged.  Had a neighbor take a look, and not sure if frozen in the crawl space or outside.  I have called a couple of plumbers (ned area) and they don't come to Bar K.  Any suggestions on who would come to assist with clog/ frozen pipes?  I have had the low areas ( laundry drain and downstairs toilet ) back up onto the floor, then recede.  tried running hot water and can for some minutes, but then still clogged and back up in same areas.  So looking for name of company person and not sure if it needs to be plumber or septic person?  thank you for input.  Happy New Year!

Wingham, I have had very good results from Garvin's Sewer Service.  They've been quick and helpful and charge less than I expected.  Don't charge if they can't fix it.  Nice folks too.  303-571-5114   garvinssewerservice.com
Lynwood

THANK YOU for this.  I heard they are great and was on the phone checking whether they come up here and got disconnected.  I will try again.   Looking at the clean out in the am, then digging out the access to the tank if it seems the clog is out there.  
Hello Wingham, 

I've dealt with two septic line & tank freezes in January/February and have experience correcting the problems both short term and long term.  I also had some limited help from Steve at Acme, and later from an excellent excavation/septic contractor out of Gold Hill.  I'm willing to talk about it.  PM me if you're interested.

First and most important advice is that when you plan to leave during winter, thoroughly flush the sinks and toilets multiple times to remove all solids (TP, etc.) from the sewer lines all the way down to the septic tank.  Those solids create barriers that freeze and back up drain water to escape into the house.  The result can be costly and difficult to deal with in the middle of winter. 

In my case, the back up broke a cast iron sewer pipe in the basement that leaked and destroyed a furnace and water heater.  All thanks to a septic contractor that did substandard work throughout the area, finagled county inspections by deception, and escaped responsibility by getting drunk and killing himself in a motorcycle accident.
(01-05-2023, 09:40 PM)Steven B in PV Wrote: Hello Wingham, 

I've dealt with two septic line & tank freezes in January/February and have experience correcting the problems both short term and long term.  I also had some limited help from Steve at Acme, and later from an excellent excavation/septic contractor out of Gold Hill.  I'm willing to talk about it.  PM me if you're interested.

First and most important advice is that when you plan to leave during winter, thoroughly flush the sinks and toilets multiple times to remove all solids (TP, etc.) from the sewer lines all the way down to the septic tank.  Those solids create barriers that freeze and back up drain water to escape into the house.  The result can be costly and difficult to deal with in the middle of winter. 

In my case, the back up broke a cast iron sewer pipe in the basement that leaked and destroyed a furnace and water heater.  All thanks to a septic contractor that did substandard work throughout the area, finagled county inspections by deception, and escaped responsibility by getting drunk and killing himself in a motorcycle accident.

All clear on the tank sitch.  Thanks to Buddy, Acme, and very kind neighbors.   Just wanted to share that Garvin is not servicing this area right now, something about truck type.  Thanks for the BB support
You got the right crew for the situation for sure.  What did you find, curious septics inquire.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »