Crazy Driver
The other day I was dangerously threatened in the canyon by some nutcase in a green Subaru Outback.  He wasn't trying to kill me, but it wouldn't have taken much.  Following too close, passing too close, braking in front of me.  You're vulnerable on a motorcycle.  I was too busy to get his plate number, and I know all Subarus are green, so I don't know what any of us can do.  Just watch out, I guess.  And get his licence plate number if it happens to you.  Maybe get a dash camera.
(06-16-2024, 09:40 AM)Lynwood Wrote: The other day I was dangerously threatened in the canyon by some nutcase in a green Subaru Outback.  He wasn't trying to kill me, but it wouldn't have taken much.  Following too close, passing too close, braking in front of me.  You're vulnerable on a motorcycle.  I was too busy to get his plate number, and I know all Subarus are green, so I don't know what any of us can do.  Just watch out, I guess.  And get his licence plate number if it happens to you.  Maybe get a dash camera.

Lynwood, on the few occasions I've experienced a similar situation, I let the vehicle behind me pass.
Some mornings I let up to 6 vehicles pass, usually I'll see them gaining on me in the rear view mirror and think of a place to let them pass with good visibility (not in a blind curve).
I just put my right signal on and slow so they don't have to speed up too much, that gives them adequate room and time to pass.
I like to think of it as Sharing The Road.
Most folks will wave or flash their lights as a thank you.
Everybody's happy.
(06-16-2024, 10:13 AM)Hollis Wrote:
(06-16-2024, 09:40 AM)Lynwood Wrote: The other day I was dangerously threatened in the canyon by some nutcase in a green Subaru Outback.  He wasn't trying to kill me, but it wouldn't have taken much.  Following too close, passing too close, braking in front of me.  You're vulnerable on a motorcycle.  I was too busy to get his plate number, and I know all Subarus are green, so I don't know what any of us can do.  Just watch out, I guess.  And get his licence plate number if it happens to you.  Maybe get a dash camera.

Lynwood, on the few occasions I've experienced a similar situation, I let the vehicle behind me pass.
Some mornings I let up to 6 vehicles pass, usually I'll see them gaining on me in the rear view mirror and think of a place to let them pass with good visibility (not in a blind curve).
I just put my right signal on and slow so they don't have to speed up too much, that gives them adequate room and time to pass.
I like to think of it as Sharing The Road.
Most folks will wave or flash their lights as a thank you.
Everybody's happy.

I do the same, Hollis.  This was a different kind of event.  I did nothing to provoke him.  The first I saw him, he came up very close behind me, and I pulled off the first chance I had.  He slowed to walking speed as I pulled out behind him.  I stayed behind him at 5 miles an hour for a while, and finally passed him.  He accelerated as I passed him, as though to keep me in the left lane, and came very close again.  And more of the same.  He finally pulled away ahead of me after a couple of miles.  I know some people don't like motorcycles, but this seems excessive.  
Lynwood
Yep, that sounds like a nutcase.

I had a woman once fly up behind me on Old Stage, it was 30 seconds until I could pull over and let her pass, when I got to the bottom she had pulled across the road blocking it, got out of her vehicle and was having a conniption fit, just raging, out of her gourd. 

Then she chased me to Jamestown, at the time I lived up Balarat Rd. on 87J, she finally gave up.
Hey Lynwood, can you describe the vehicle any better? Did it have an intact front grille bumper? There's one with a bad grille, but they aren't a problem, and one with a pretty damaged front bumper that is aggressive. OB
(06-17-2024, 06:56 AM)O'B's Wrote: Hey Lynwood, can you describe the vehicle any better? Did it have an intact front grille bumper? There's one with a bad grille, but they aren't a problem, and one with a pretty damaged front bumper that is aggressive. OB

Sorry, OB, wish I could.  When he was behind me he was too close to be able to see his (missing) bumper in my mirror.  I tried to look, but I was pretty busy at the time.  
Lynwood
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »