Need repair or advice on new propane heater ...
After installing a new propane heater at Monkey Ranch, the pilot's not staying lit.
Somtimes it works ...
Could it be  an altitude problem?  As it's brand new, maybe oxygen sensor adjustment?

This is out of my depth - it was purchased from Murdoch's last week and is Mr Heater brand "Blue Flame".
A commercial service generally won't touch owner-installed units - but if you know of  one that does, let me know.

The attached .mov file shows the problem, - you might need to download it to view it.

303 442 1805, or reply here.

Attached Files
.mov   IMG_178894944.MOV (Size: 1.92 MB / Downloads: 145)
Robert that pilot light is not very steady. What is the propane supply to the heater?
Is there some sort of pilot adjustment on it? Sometimes there is a small screw that allows you to send more or less gas through the pilot. I think you're getting too much.
Thanks for the good thought - but no adjustment.
(01-12-2022, 07:26 AM)RobertH Wrote: After installing a new propane heater at Monkey Ranch, the pilot's not staying lit.
Somtimes it works ...
Could it be  an altitude problem?  As it's brand new, maybe oxygen sensor adjustment?

This is out of my depth - it was purchased from Murdoch's last week and is Mr Heater brand "Blue Flame".
A commercial service generally won't touch owner-installed units - but if you know of  one that does, let me know.

The attached .mov file shows the problem, - you might need to download it to view it.

Robert, it's most likely the oxygen sensor shut-off as your heater is rated for a 4500 ft. maximum altitude.  See mrheater.com.  Even though the unit is new you might try cleaning the pilot tube with a Q-tip and alcohol.  It cleared the pilot issue on my smaller Buddy heater which is rated for up to 7500 ft.  I've been able to use it at ~9000 ft.  But if you're in the Bar-K, 8600 ft. is probably too high for the Blue Flame unit to perform.

Wall furnaces are available that use thermopile ignition at 750 millivolts which work without 120V electric service.  That may be the safest option as a back up to a 120V furnace.
(01-12-2022, 07:26 AM)RobertH Wrote:  

Robert, is the heater rated for Natural Gas or Propane?

Here's the manual with a trouble shooting guide. (see attachment)

Attached Files
.pdf   mhvf-bf_rd-20_30-ngt_ngbt-current-2020.pdf (Size: 1.44 MB / Downloads: 541)
(01-12-2022, 07:21 PM)Steven B in PV Wrote:
(01-12-2022, 07:26 AM)RobertH Wrote: After installing a new propane heater at Monkey Ranch, the pilot's not staying lit.
Somtimes it works ...

Robert, it's most likely the oxygen sensor shut-off as your heater is rated for a 4500 ft. maximum altitude.  See mrheater.com.  Even though the unit is new you might try cleaning the pilot tube with a Q-tip and alcohol.  It cleared the pilot issue on my smaller Buddy heater which is rated for up to 7500 ft.  I've been able to use it at ~9000 ft.  But if you're in the Bar-K, 8600 ft. is probably too high for the Blue Flame unit to perform.

Wall furnaces are available that use thermopile ignition at 750 millivolts which work without 120V electric service.  That may be the safest option as a back up to a 120V furnace.

Hollis, thx, I suspected as much.  Will clean.  Skip next door has the same heater, and it doesn't malf as often as this new one.  Like you say, it's probably at the edge of its specs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »